• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator Images - Linked or Embedded?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm working on a layout for a regular client as a favor which is outside most of what I do with any regularity, so I have run into a basic question.

The layout is for a box to be printed for a new product. I am setting up the job in Illustrator so as to provide the accuracy called for as to where the folds will be. The layout is a combination of text and Photoshop PSD images with transparent backgrounds. I have been placing the PSD images on the Illustrator page and all looks just fine.

The question now arises as to whether or not my procedure has resulted in linked images or embedded images. Since I am not concerned with file size, my questions are:

1. In placing each image, is it being linked or embedded?
2. I am assuming that embedded is preferred. Is this a correct assumption?
3. How can I check the status of each image?
4. How can I switch from linked to embedded or vice versa?

Thanks in advance. :Cool 2:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Got to:

WINDOW-LINKS
you can link and embed from there....

You can see your images there....

On what is best, I would ask the printer who is going to do it, depending on how it's printed I always found the printer wanted them linked so they can adjust the Photoshop images for color matching. Last thing you want them too do is copy and paste the image in and out of adjustments need to be made.

Another thing is make sure your clients sends a proof to the printer, with linked images it can get problematic if you have a lot of images in a file and they miss an image not showing up.

If YOU readjust your linked image make sure you update the link......Think of linked images as they would work in Quark or InDesign

1. In placing each image, is it being linked or embedded?
you can choose on your "PLACE" window
2. I am assuming that embedded is preferred. Is this a correct assumption?
no, ask the printer
3. How can I check the status of each image?
through the "links" window
4. How can I switch from linked to embedded or vice versa?
yes you can, through the "links" window

Replicator

I hope that some Illustrator experts will be able to help you Fred . . .

Illustrator is the one program I've never fully understood, enjoyed or mastered.

Sounds like Rick got it figured out for you . . . Good Luck !

RobGF

On what is best, I would ask the printer who is going to do it, depending on how it's printed I always found the printer wanted them linked so they can adjust the Photoshop images for color matching. Last thing you want them too do is copy and paste the image in and out of adjustments need to be made.

I'd second the advise of opening a dialogue with your print provider. I owned a prepress shop for 10 years and we preferred images to be linked for easy access. For us, embedded was a PITA. However, something like this really does depend on the shops' workflow.

scott pagan

Rick is all over them.

to add to Q-1; in the place window there is a checkbox for "link" as to not embed the placed file from the start. you can also reassign the link in the links pallette's lower buttons (relink/goto link/update link).

we prefer having the files linked.