• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

illustrator large vector file question

crny1

So I have probably asked this already to some degree but I still must not grasp the best method or way to do it.
I have a all vector file with some effects in it. Illustrator will not save it, eps, pdf, tiff etc etc. The vectors have LOTS and LOTS of nodes making them pretty big. I dont have a small computer either so I dont think thats the problem. Is my only choice to save as a jpg and print as a jpg? If I try to rasterize of flatten then I get the dredded transparency boxes on the design. Would scaling it down help? The number of nodes, effects and gradients isnt going to change so I wouldn't think it would help. I am missing something on making this easier.......

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Vector objects that are pigged with thousands upon thousands of anchor points can pose all sorts of problems. If the object is a compound path with many sub-paths you can try releasing the compound path and re-combine only the sub paths that need to be made into a compound path. Some printer RIPs will reject objects with more than 5000 anchor points.

Generally speaking good quality vector art should never have individual objects with thousands of anchor points unless it was a deliberate design choice, like some kind of very rough looking effect like dry brush or splatter. Even then you're not going to combine every little nick, dot and splat into a single compound path. It's usually better to create a group of those objects. If the objects are meant to have clean edges they should not have tons of anchor points. The paths need to be cleaned up.

When you start adding effects to objects with tons of anchor points you'll be asking for trouble. And it doesn't matter what application you use. I've personally crashed different versions of CorelDRAW, Flexi, Freehand, CASmate and even Deneba Canvas (anyone remember Canvas?) trying to combine too much together into a single vector object. If the objects need to have all sorts of drop shadows, transparency, blurs, gradients or other stuff sometimes it's better to port the artwork into Photoshop (as paths, channels, or whatever) and build up the artwork there.

JulieS

To print crazy files like this... just open the file in Photoshop. Then I always reduce the resolution under "Image Size" to make the file size smaller (usually 100 dpi, but you can go smaller depending on size, viewing distance, etc.). Save as .pdf. I think it asks if you want to save layers...don't. Works great!

clarizeyale

Big, big stuff, I save as a tiff at half size at 300dpi. IF it still doesn't save.. I change the dpi to 250... never had any issues :D

Breezy85

Vector objects that are pigged with thousands upon thousands of anchor points can pose all sorts of problems. If the object is a compound path with many sub-paths you can try releasing the compound path and re-combine only the sub paths that need to be made into a compound path. Some printer RIPs will reject objects with more than 5000 anchor points.

Generally speaking good quality vector art should never have individual objects with thousands of anchor points unless it was a deliberate design choice, like some kind of very rough looking effect like dry brush or splatter. Even then you're not going to combine every little nick, dot and splat into a single compound path. It's usually better to create a group of those objects. If the objects are meant to have clean edges they should not have tons of anchor points. The paths need to be cleaned up.

When you start adding effects to objects with tons of anchor points you'll be asking for trouble. And it doesn't matter what application you use. I've personally crashed different versions of CorelDRAW, Flexi, Freehand, CASmate and even Deneba Canvas (anyone remember Canvas?) trying to combine too much together into a single vector object. If the objects need to have all sorts of drop shadows, transparency, blurs, gradients or other stuff sometimes it's better to port the artwork into Photoshop (as paths, channels, or whatever) and build up the artwork there.

This. I've had to spend time cleaning up customer artwork because of this and then ending up telling sales to charge for design time because it took time to make their file useable for print. The other thing that annoys me is clipping masks galore! I don't know why people use so many of them.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Depending on the type of file and how it was created the clipping masks may be auto-generated. This is definitely true with PDFs. I think it has to do with making sure any effects in the graphics are not altered in different versions of Adobe Reader, other PDF viewers and on other platforms. In Adobe Illustrator you have to check "preserve Illustrator editing capabilities" in the file save settings if you don't want a bunch of strange alterations taking place and be able to open/edit it like any other AI file. A bunch of other applications that export files in PDF format give little if any choice. If you have some lettering with a gradient fill the PDF creation engine will automatically create a box of that gradient and a clipping mask applied to it. The PDF engine may create multiple copies of the lettering and box, some of which have no fill or outline stroke. The objects only show up in the Layers panel. That's a real hazard if you're sending the artwork to a vinyl cutter. The plotter knife will cut over the letters for how many copies are there until it's cutting through the backing! I've seen PDFs of logos have numerous levels of clipping masks, enough that I knew no human being would go to the trouble of creating artwork like that.

Last edited:

crny1

The artwork is 111" by 36" and there are 2 of these on the artboard. I moved each one to a seperate file and was able to save them individually. I should of done it in the first place but I forgot that. Each file is right at 1gb. Yes there are alot of gradients among the thousands of anchor points. only a couple clipping masks involved in the artwork. Thes vectors were not built by me. Merely downloaded from shutterstock and arranged accordingly to satisfy the client.

Big, big stuff, I save as a tiff at half size at 300dpi. IF it still doesn't save.. I change the dpi to 250... never had any issues :D
I must be missing something because the only way to get a .tiff file is with export and in the .tiff export menu there is no option for 250dpi. I get 3 choices, 300, 150 and 75ppi. Am I attempting to save a tiff wrong?

crny1

Honestly have never used the simplify tool. It seemed to help a tiny bit when saving. Thanks for the tip though.

jfiscus

Rap Master
If you ever have a file that just wont save, it is usually the "preview" that is causing the saving error. Turn off visibility for the layer with everything complicated and hit save; that will at least allow you to save your work until later.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
The artwork is 111" by 36" and there are 2 of these on the artboard. I moved each one to a seperate file and was able to save them individually. I should of done it in the first place but I forgot that. Each file is right at 1gb...

Something more going on to produce that size of a file. Gradients do not bloat the file, nodes will to some degree.
All vector? No drop shadows? No raster images involved?

The only files over 1gb I've ever received were psb files. Somebody thinks it's a good idea to design in photoshop at full scale and 300dpi when the sign is 48" x 10ft.
I'd be curious to see such files

clarizeyale

The artwork is 111" by 36" and there are 2 of these on the artboard. I moved each one to a seperate file and was able to save them individually. I should of done it in the first place but I forgot that. Each file is right at 1gb. Yes there are alot of gradients among the thousands of anchor points. only a couple clipping masks involved in the artwork. Thes vectors were not built by me. Merely downloaded from shutterstock and arranged accordingly to satisfy the client.

I must be missing something because the only way to get a .tiff file is with export and in the .tiff export menu there is no option for 250dpi. I get 3 choices, 300, 150 and 75ppi. Am I attempting to save a tiff wrong?

OOH usually saving one to another file helps too LOL glad that worked out. I guess the gradient was expanded hence the bajillion anchors :(

When you pick your resolution, there should be an option for other. There you can put whatever number you'd like :)