Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

illustrator outline cuting

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by John362, Mar 7, 2007.

1. John362

John362 New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    how do i cut a outline seperate from the letters in illustrator

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    You need to work with us a little bit here John. You have nothing filled out in your profile to give us any clue as to your software and hardware lineup and, not to say it isn't done, but it is unusual for anyone to cut directly from Illustrator.

3. John362

John362 New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    sorry about that i am really new with this i havent even gottin a vynil plotter yet im just tryin to get everything lined up so i know what to do when i do get it

4. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    The usual problems are in not understanding the difference between a separate vector outline and a stroked path. Strokes won't cut and must be converted to outlines in Illustrator before they can be used to output to a plotter. Object Menu > Path > Outline Strokes

You may also, depending on the software you are using, need to convert your text to outlines. Type Menu > Create Outlines

Fill out your profile. It saves those of us willing to help a lot of time.