• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator, Photoshop, Corel ???

james2

Hello All!

I am purchasing a Roland Pro 3 very soon but have a software question...
I have Illustrator and Photoshop, I use Omega to run my Edge.

Which software is the best to use for my Roland?
I know that each are good at different things, but I was just wondering if there was one in specific that anyone would suggest.

Would I need the new Corel if I already have Photoshop?

How about Omega?
Does anyone know if I can use it to run my Roland?

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
:thankyou:

james2

and more

it seems not long ago there was a big discussion that Corel was beter than Flexi. My Roland comes with a built in RIP. Vehicles, decals, and banners are the bulk of our biz. do we really need to spend a ton of money on flexi?

ChiknNutz

I personally use Corel and CoCut for vinyl, along with Wasatch SoftRip for the digital printer RIP. I also have Adobe Creative Suite CS2, but am not very good with it yet. Either way, you NEED a vector application whether it be CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator, SignLab, Flexi or whatever. Photoshop is really only for raster images...good for printing and all, but you still need a vector-based program.

lookinc

It all depends on wich pro III you get the 540 comes with versaworks rip and no u dont need flexi or any other software to run it just save file as EPS and open it with versaworks.I dont know about the other roland printers. as long as u have xp versaworks will work the only xp versaworks will not work with is xp media edition it does not come with a network driver necessary to run it.

james2

corel

it does have versa works built in.
i have heard so many arguments on this site about flexi vs corel.

i think i will learn corel and when needed i will purchase flexi or onyx.
not sure what will happen that will make me need to switch.

i am very new to corel. i have used illustrator, omega, and photoshop for awhile. i think i need to lock myself into a room with a manual and the program for awhile to learn it.

should i buy the full blown version or the teacher edition?

thx!

ChiknNutz

Just get an upgrade version, such as v9 for $30, then buy the upgrade to X3 for $150. You just can't beat that price for a VERY good design program.

mark in tx

If you have Illustrator and Photoshop, and you know how to use them, then why get Corel and have to put up with a new learning curve?
The output from what you have will work fine.

i have used illustrator, omega, and photoshop for awhile

Expanding your horizons is never a bad thing BUT why make the switch if you are already using and familiar Illustrator. While there are some differences, one is just as capable as the other.

Spend more time expanding your Illustrator and Photoshop skills - a better investment IMO.

james2

that's what i need to know and i appreciate your help.
i will utilize my knowledge of the 2 programs to get me started with the printer then slowly learn corel.

in regards to the upgrade to v9 for $30, what would i be upgrading from?

ChiknNutz

You asked if you should buy the "full blown version or the teacher version" and this is what I was referring to. Actually, you should not use the "teacher version" for production work due to the licensing rights associated with said version.

Ken

While I am much better at Corel than the others, I would also say why confuse the learning curve with the addition of a new program. AI + Photoshop..that you are familiar with, will do what you need. You also have the RIP to deal with. I found it (almost) overwhelming to try to juggle these programs all at once. Still not very good with AI, cause Corel does what i need..friendlier in my opinion. How many of your clients will send you Corel files? If you have a basic version of Corel you can use it to convert to AI and go from there.
Ken

CenturySigns

Custom Sign Shop Designer
Hey James
I would have to agree with most here. I have used Corel since version 2 and now am on 13 and live there, but we recently have gotten a copy of AI in hopes of doing some nicer graphics for RIP. So far I have found that AI is pretty intense to learn and although it does have some really nice bells and whistles, Corel does all that I need to do and then some, that is when it come to cutting. I don't believe that Corel will offer you anything more than AIsc. Good design comes from the designed not the software.

threeputt

James, why not continue to use Omega as your primary layout/designing program. We do. Output to VersaWorks directly from there.

Of course if you're proficient in Illustrator, that's good too. It's a fine program.

james2

I was wondering if I could do that. It's easy to import most images into Omega and to turn cuts on and off.

I will be trying that as well.

thanks.:Coffee: