Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illustrator Printing

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by WVB, Jun 10, 2005.

1. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Is there a way to get Illustrator to print the correct colors to paper etc. (I print proofs with Illustrator for clients.) I use to know how, however I have since forgotten :help:

In any event when working in RGB mode I will print what is blue in Illustrator however it will print in pink. I know there are monitor spiders etc; but I would like to know how through the software itself.

Tags:
  2. Leondo

Leondo Member

May 17, 2005
    Try using PMS colors (Pantone) :thumb:

3. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    There's no simple answer. You need to use color management and color profiles, then it's trial and error to find the right combinations for you scanner, desktop printer, monitor and output devices. All along the way it becomes more complicated with matching the media and the quality settings. Changing settings, profiles or media will give different results with each and every change.

4. seaviewsigns

seaviewsigns Member

Dec 7, 2004
    change the file document to CMYk rather than RGB...

File > Document Color Mode > CMYK

5. tokepo

tokepo New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    The first thing I would check would be the printer itself. Try printing another file that you know should print correctly using another software. My first thought would be your print heads need cleaning or you maybe out of ink in one of your colors. Print another image and then at least you will know if it is the printer or the software. Just my thoughts.

Good Luck!
    Tony

6. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Its definitly not the printer. Only when printing from Illustrator or impoted Illustrator files into Flexi will the colors be off. Otherwise pictures etc. all print wonderfully to my desktop printer.

7. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Both Illustrator and FlexiSign use color management unless you turn it off. Therefore a color profile is coming into play.

8. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ok, so if I turn off color management from Illustrator or Flexi that should fix the issue at hand? I am just trying to print to my desktop epson printer for proofs is all.

9. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Probably. Try it and see.

You may find that insuring your document is set to CMYK and using one or another of the available profiles gives you the result you're looking for as well. I usually use the Photoshop 5 Default CMYK with my Epson and get good results.

10. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ok I have tried the Photoshop 5 default spaces as well as color management off, but both yield the same results. I am using #8B458F CMYK = 58%, 81%, 0%, 0% for Purple but it prints out as a hot pink/Magenta color. I also use #E0DFDF CMYK = 14%, 10%, 9%, 0% for a light silver but it prints out as a light, light pink color. I am not sure what is going on or if I am just missing something here? Thanks in advance.

11. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    That sounds more like your cartridge is out of cyan or the head is clogged. I don't think that any color management coiuld throw it that far off.