• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator question on opening eps files

WildWestDesigns

EPS from newer versions of CC are not backwardly compatible to older versions of illustrator. The only way I've found to solve this reliably is to run the file through InDesign. Create a blank document, place the EPS, and then export to a compliant PDF. Works every time.

That's always been the case if the default EPS version is used. They would have to have selected a legacy EPS option.

Downside is if they had used any new features that Ai has that aren't supported in those old versions. Sometimes there are workarounds. I remember when gradients on strokes first came out, I had to outline the stroke before saving as EPS. Something along those lines.

Unless they (Adobe) has removed legacy EPS exporting from newer versions of CC, then that's something else entirely.

shoresigns

EPS from newer versions of CC are not backwardly compatible to older versions of illustrator. The only way I've found to solve this reliably is to run the file through InDesign. Create a blank document, place the EPS, and then export to a compliant PDF. Works every time.
This method works in Illustrator, too. And it works for both AI and EPS files.

That's always been the case if the default EPS version is used. They would have to have selected a legacy EPS option.

Unless they (Adobe) has removed legacy EPS exporting from newer versions of CC, then that's something else entirely.

They haven't.

WildWestDesigns

They haven't.

Then more then likely, it's someone using the default recent EPS version or they are exporting it to a legacy EPS, but newer effects don't translate to that specific legacy format.

Gradients on strokes was always the one that I had to worry about when CS5 came out. Like I mentioned, outlining the stroke to where it was a fill with gradient, it would export to EPS 8. If you didn't outline stroke and even exported to EPS 8, it wouldn't translate. Stuff like that is what would happen.

royster13

If the designer used CC and put "rounded rectangles" in the artwork, "sometimes" when you open these files in other versions and/or other programs the corners end up square....So very important to compare what you end up with versus a jpg of the same artwork as your client sees it....

WildWestDesigns

If the designer used CC and put "rounded rectangles" in the artwork, "sometimes" when you open these files in other versions and/or other programs the corners end up square....So very important to compare what you end up with versus a jpg of the same artwork as your client sees it....

That has actually been an "issue" before CC.

If one used the "Convert to Shape" and used the "rounded rectangle" or used the "Stylize" and "Rounded Corners" option, they would need to "Expand Appearance" in order for that effect to take hold.

The key is in the wireframe view to see what needs to be done.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
[QUOTE="WildWestDesigns, post: 1343897, member: 24986"
...Gradients on strokes was always the one that I had to worry about when CS5 came out. Like I mentioned, outlining the stroke to where it was a fill with gradient, it would export to EPS 8. If you didn't outline stroke and even exported to EPS 8, it wouldn't translate. Stuff like that is what would happen.[/QUOTE]

NEVER EVER USE EPS WHEN GRADIENTS ARE USED! PDF ONLY!
Doing so will prevent the eps from being truly universal.

WildWestDesigns

NEVER EVER USE EPS WHEN GRADIENTS ARE USED! PDF ONLY!
Doing so will prevent the eps from being truly universal.

That was actually an example of what could be going on, at least in my experience.

Actually for me, gradients in PDFs, Ai, EPS etc don't translate at all. For digitizing purposes, gradients have to be used in a raster file. How the digitizing software handles gradients is not good at all when used with vectors. So it's actually worse then that. Thankfully, my software as an "import as bitmap" option for vector files, but if I tried to bring it in as a straight vector, no bueno.