Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illustrator Question

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by jestoker723, Mar 8, 2013.

1. jestoker723

jestoker723 Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Lawrenceville, GA
    I'm new to the Adobe Suite. I'm currently using Illustrator for my designs. My question is regarding bringing files into Illustrator and tracing them. I often have problems where the file gets distorted or really messed up when I trace it.

What type of file is the best for a client to send me so I can expand it? Again, I'm a newbie when it comes to doing this.

My school purchased a large format printer and left me in charge of it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    autotrace should only be used for the most basic of designs, and 99% of the time will still need tweaking. best to learn the pen tool

3. jestoker723

jestoker723 Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Is there a better program to use to do this that you know of?

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    as stated, any autotrace is less than effective, through whatever means you use. its best to hand trace.

5. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Save all the headaches and send it to the Vector Doctor a merchant member here

6. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    If you have to use Illustrator's Live Trace, black and white jpegs work best, they absolutely HAVE to be high resolution...sometimes if I am lazy and the jpeg is not to bad or simple, you can enlarge it, trace it, then reduce down to the size you need, but there are memory issues if you try to trace to large of an image.

But I find tracing more intricate art is done easier manually...

Photoshop has a nice vector converting feature as well.