• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator question

GVP

Greetings,

This is driving me nuts. I work mostly in Corel, but every now and then need to use Illustrator - which I confess I find difficult. Here is a (probably) simple issue that I would be grateful if someone could help with. How do I select the little circle shape (all the components) without selecting the rest of the illustration? I've tried both selection tools, and tried holding down shift, and/or alt, and/or ctrl. But everything I do seems to select everything it touches. In Corel, you just sweep select the small shape - anything not entirely enclosed within the sweep area doesn't get selected. But I can't figure out how to do this in Illustrator. Help! Oh, CS4 Windows.

EDIT: Just tried again after posting, and damn if I could select the bit I wanted with the selection tool. Don't know why it didn't before - I still figure I'm doing something wrong...

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_30 Jun. 28 08.45.jpg
    ScreenHunter_30 Jun. 28 08.45.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 120
  • ScreenHunter_31 Jun. 28 08.53.jpg
    ScreenHunter_31 Jun. 28 08.53.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 116

bulldozer

several things could be happening here. it could be grouped(most obvious), compounded, or there could be a mask. try to isolate it (double-click object)

oksigns

Greetings,

This is driving me nuts. I work mostly in Corel, but every now and then need to use Illustrator - which I confess I find difficult. Here is a (probably) simple issue that I would be grateful if someone could help with. How do I select the little circle shape (all the components) without selecting the rest of the illustration? I've tried both selection tools, and tried holding down shift, and/or alt, and/or ctrl. But everything I do seems to select everything it touches. In Corel, you just sweep select the small shape - anything not entirely enclosed within the sweep area doesn't get selected. But I can't figure out how to do this in Illustrator. Help! Oh, CS4 Windows.

EDIT: Just tried again after posting, and damn if I could select the bit I wanted with the selection tool. Don't know why it didn't before - I still figure I'm doing something wrong...

Dunno what you mean by little circle shape.

If this was provided by the customer, save a copy to work on first. You may be working with grouped elements, which you will want to UNGROUP to gain easy access to the elements.

if you need something specific to select, you can always hand select one object that share the appearance, stroke or fill of the other objects you want, go up to SELECT>SAME>choose a selection parameter that matches the elements you want selected, and AI will select all with those same traits.

sfr table hockey

If they are grouped then when you click on that small circle shape (with black pointer) it will grab all but if you use the white pointer (selection tool) you can grab areas that are grouped and just select them. However they will still be grouped together once you click off that selection. I find it easier to un group first.

If they are not all grouped together or you have un grouped them, you can again drag the black selection pointer over the area you want selected and if you miss a bit of the area then you can then hold shift down while you drag over the area again the 2nd time and it will add to your selection.

You can do similar in which when you have an area selected and lets say it grabbed part of the larger circle, then by holding down shift, you can click on the area or lines that you don't want and it will de select them.

klmiller611

Use the hollow arrow cursor, and hold down the option or alt (on PC, I think) key and drag a box around the area. Should be able to select just the area you want

Pippin Decals

If they are grouped then when you click on that small circle shape (with black pointer) it will grab all but if you use the white pointer (selection tool) you can grab areas that are grouped and just select them. However they will still be grouped together once you click off that selection. I find it easier to un group first.

If they are not all grouped together or you have un grouped them, you can again drag the black selection pointer over the area you want selected and if you miss a bit of the area then you can then hold shift down while you drag over the area again the 2nd time and it will add to your selection.

You can do similar in which when you have an area selected and lets say it grabbed part of the larger circle, then by holding down shift, you can click on the area or lines that you don't want and it will de select them.

Exactly said, if they are grouped, just ungroup and grab what your wanting ..I do it all the time... I have corel and ai and i couldnt get my self to learn corel at all but i got ai down quickly.. its actually very easy to use..I use it for everything except making a shadow and or cutting on my machine,,,