• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Illustrator to Flexi

Markrw6

I've been using Illustrator for my designs and then simply copy and pasting into flexi. Today when I fired up flexi, and paste an image like I usually do it is increasing the size of the image by 8" or so both height and width.....do I have some setting clicked on that I didnt before?

I noticed it will not allow me to simply "Paste" anymore but instead I have to "Paste Over"

Helpppppp - I am still learning both of these programs and the size change is making things VERY difficult.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Have you tried saving as say a PDF or EPS and then importing to flexi? I don’t use flexi but I can’t imagine copy and paste is the best solution?

bannertime

I've never had success with c/p in either direction with Flexi and Illustrator. Always get "non-native art" errors or vector art gets rasterized. Best bet is to do the export like iPrintStuff said.

DPD

Try saving your ai file as a native illustrator file then importing into flexi. Either it works or flexi will tell you there are versioning issues which can affect your copy and paste. BTW, importing the illustrator file is the preferred method.

karst41

A couple of things here really stand out.

I work in Illustrator and Flexi every day and it is glitchy because I am using MAC with Illustrator and then moving to Flexi 19 on a PC.

Always use the Import function to bring in an Illustrator file.
The copy paste? I would rather drag and drop. Much faster.
Do you copy and paste files into Illustrator? If you do then that is a bad habit.
In Illustrator you use the Place Command.

Now with Flexi, I have issues with PDF's from Illustrator. Is kinda hit and Miss
and the eps is the same. If a file is acting badly, I will Save As in Illustrator
and choose EPS 3. and ignore the little pop up message.

Prior to exporting I always ungroup and convert all text to paths.
Once imported the size is always off a little and I simply resize.

If going to print most of the time I use Color Correction.
If I am creating the color or need to adjust then I use No Color correction
and walk the numbers in.

Cheers

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
It's not surprising to hear anyone having issues importing Illustrator-generated artwork into Flexi. Certain effects, like art brush or pattern brush effects applied to line strokes, have to be expanded before exporting to PDF or EPS. Flexi won't read certain object fill effects properly. That doesn't even get in to new features like Illustrator's free-form gradient fill effect. Flexi still doesn't fully support all the features in OpenType, much less offer any support for newer things like Variable Fonts or SVG Fonts.

whatsinaname

We tried importing and opening an illustrator file with around 50 individual artworks into Flexi but Flexi would place all of them as a single group and then when we ungroup, it ungroups everything. We have to group every single artwork again. That's a real PITA as we have more than 3000 of such artworks. Anyway to import or open the artworks grouped exactly as they were in illustrator?

bannertime

We tried importing and opening an illustrator file with around 50 individual artworks into Flexi but Flexi would place all of them as a single group and then when we ungroup, it ungroups everything. We have to group every single artwork again. That's a real PITA as we have more than 3000 of such artworks. Anyway to import or open the artworks grouped exactly as they were in illustrator?

1) I'd suggest creating a new thread on this. 2) In that thread, please tell use your requirements for pulling the files from Illustrator to Flexi. There may be a way to accomplish what you need in Illustrator. Or it will at least help us provide an additional export option.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I'm not following the need for Flexi at all if you already have the file in illy. Redundant if you ask me. Export your file from illy to a "Hot Folder" then use Flexi Production Manager to print it.

whatsinaname

I'm not following the need for Flexi at all if you already have the file in illy. Redundant if you ask me. Export your file from illy to a "Hot Folder" then use Flexi Production Manager to print it.

We are using Flexi only for nesting and then plotting it since there's no nesting function available in illustrator. All our artworks are in illustrator .ai.

whatsinaname

1) I'd suggest creating a new thread on this. 2) In that thread, please tell use your requirements for pulling the files from Illustrator to Flexi. There may be a way to accomplish what you need in Illustrator. Or it will at least help us provide an additional export option.

Sure, will put up a separate thread.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Nesting can be accomplished by step and repeat or scripts. Not too familiar with illy but I use macros in Corel to "Nest" as needed. Almost sure it can be done thru illy though. Quicker for me to do it at my workstation rather than our Print Tech to worry about it. The only Nesting he does is thru Flexi Print Manager where he can nest print job for the same substrate.