• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Illustrator to photoshop shape not keeping correct size

crny1

I am having trouble getting a smart object (illustrator vector) to paste into photoshop at the correct size/scale.
I have made sure the Illy file and the PS file have the same resolution but everytime I paste the vector in it seems that photoshop moves the decimal point and makes the object considerable smaller.
For instance I have (for ease of explanation) a rectangle in illustrator that is 55" wide by 103.5" high. Illustrator file is 72 as well as the PS file is 72.
When the rectangle is pasted in to PS it becomes 5.5" wide by 10.347" high.
For the life of me I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong here. Yes I can use Free transform to correct it but that is a added step to fiddle with.
Any suggestions?

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
Instead of copy and paste, simply open the file with photoshop, then just drag the layer from the one file into the other and it should work.

Also, what you can do is paste in PS as Pixels and then you can convert to smart object from there.

Gettin'By

Does Illy have a scaling factor that can applied to a page or document? I know Acrobat has it so if you need a billboard larger than 200" wide because Acrobat has a size limit of 200". Maybe Illy has a similar thing? I've never used it in Illy though.

crny1

Not sure. Havent ever tried anything like that.
Does Illy have a scaling factor that can applied to a page or document? I know Acrobat has it so if you need a billboard larger than 200" wide because Acrobat has a size limit of 200". Maybe Illy has a similar thing? I've never used it in Illy though.
Placing it does the same thing.
After some trial and error it seems to be only this illustrator file that is doing it for some reason.
what happens when you "place" it?

BigNate

.... if you accidently tripped some hidden setting that created this behavior from Adobe, try un- and then re-installing Adobe... I have done this before, kind of a pain, but you know you are starting from a 'known quantity'.

crny1

.... if you accidently tripped some hidden setting that created this behavior from Adobe, try un- and then re-installing Adobe... I have done this before, kind of a pain, but you know you are starting from a 'known quantity'.
Normally I would do the same but its just this one illustrator file thats giving me trouble. All others are coming into ps the correct size. Just got to figure out why its doing it with this one.

BigNate

Normally I would do the same but its just this one illustrator file thats giving me trouble. All others are coming into ps the correct size. Just got to figure out why its doing it with this one.
could there be something that is bitmapped and embedded in the illustrator file? photoshop will use the pixelation for placing and not resample - but if they are vectors, photoshop uses them at size (well, it uses the pixels at size too, but that is more due to resolution... and the pixel size is locked based on the dpi)

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
As I said in the original post. I am aware I can free transform it but why should I have to go through another step? This seems to be my only illustrator file doing that........All others work fine.
It's one file - transform, 1000%, done.

victor bogdanov

As I said in the original post. I am aware I can free transform it but why should I have to go through another step? This seems to be my only illustrator file doing that........All others work fine.
is this file made on a illustrator "large canvas" ? this can throw the scaling off by 1000% when copy pasting in to a non large canvas/other programs because size is "faked" in the large canvas illustrator