• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator to SignCut on a Mac

SnoPro1234

Hello folks. I am new into the vinyl world and dont have much experience at all so i apologize for any stupid questions. Now i understand that the plotter fallows the "Paths" created in Illustrator, but when i open vector files from photoshop that i saved as an Illustrator file it doesnt allow me to add "Paths".

If someone could tell me what i am doing wrong, i would be veryyyy happy!

-Matt

beermonster

ok that soesnt make sense (to me)

open vector files from photoshop that i saved as an illustrator file? you know the difference between vector and raster yes?

am a little confused - care to just expand on that a little and we'll see if we can help

photoshop will allow paths, can export those to illy too, but if you're saving a raster file, dropping it to illy, saving as an illy file and hoping that'll work then it wont - sorry :(

John Butto

signcut

You have to have vector paths in Illustrator and then "Send to SignCut" in File menu. It has to be saved as an Illustrator .eps file.

sinetist

If you're just cutting vinyl I think you should leave photoshop out of the mix and do all the vectors in Illustrator. That's it's specialty.

SnoPro1234

Okay. Like i said, i am very new to this stuff. I took a class for photoshop and have a pretty good understanding of that program but am not very familiar with illustrator. Theres no way to upload vector files into illustrator and create paths easy? Thanks guys!

-Matt

Vinylman

IF you are actually "uploading" genuine {VECTOR} files, they should already be vectors, ready to cut in SignCut, {Or any other plotter driver program}.

Perhaps you are rushing to much. Slow down, read some instruction manules or watch the tutorials on the SignCut program. They will help you get started in the correct manor.

beermonster

yep - could you explain in a little more detail what you ARE doing, what you're TRYING to acheive and steps you take - then we can try to help a little

photoshop can export paths to illustrator yes, photoshop can save paths as clipping paths, save vector shapes, layers, all manner of stuff etc etc - the trick is knowing why, how, and when.......so if we understodd you "workflow" more we could help more

when i say we, the rest can i'm crap :)

stinky12

How to export paths to illy from PS

In Photoshop using the magic wand -or- any selection tool for that matter you can choose a specific color or section you want to create paths for by selecting. (currently I'm using cs3)

After selecting under the magic wand tool go ahead and right click and you'll see the option to "Make Work Path". This will bring up a pop-up with the tolerance for accuracy you would like to use, mess around with this til you like the way the paths come out then simply go to File-->Export-->Paths to Illustrator then save and name to open later in illustrator....you're done!

I have used this workflow many times and it's pretty simple once you get it down.

sinetist

As has been pointed out, you can create useable vectors in Photoshop then export them to Illustrator then save and send that file to SignCut to cut vinyl on your plotter .... but why? Seems like a few unnecessary steps. You're using three programs when only two are needed. Learn how to use Illustrator ... you won't regret it.

Lunatic Taskbar

Start with some real basics. Draw a small square in illustrator. Then see if you can cut that.

Then grow from there.

Once you know what works and what doesn't you will naturally work out a good workflow.

As many others have said above if you can give us a clearer idea of what your doing, and trying to achieve we can offer much better help.

Ian