• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator Vinyl Cutting

JCGraphix

I have a roland gx24 cutter, nothing special. Anyways, i'm using adobe cs5 illustrator and i can't figure this out...

what i'm trying to do is cut some lettering and have the letter have what looks like a bordering color of vinyl behind it, but when i try anything it doesn't work. Is there a way to make it so it cuts a border bigger then the main font?!? This is confusing i know, i just don't know how else to explain it!

Sorry!

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Is your problem getting the plotter to cut from Illy,

or in getting Illy to let you put an offset/countur/outline (call it what you will) out from the letters,

or both?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I have a roland gx24 cutter, nothing special. Anyways, i'm using adobe cs5 illustrator and i can't figure this out...

what i'm trying to do is cut some lettering and have the letter have what looks like a bordering color of vinyl behind it, but when i try anything it doesn't work. Is there a way to make it so it cuts a border bigger then the main font?!? This is confusing i know, i just don't know how else to explain it!

Sorry!

Convert the font to outlines and then apply an offset [object>path>offset] In later versions of CS you can preview it. Play around with the sizes in inches or points until you get the desired offset

JCGraphix

Thanks guys! That is what worked! Don't know why i didn't know it was that! Maybe just a brain fart like most days! THANKS AGAIN THOUGH!