• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator vs. Gimp

dirttoo

I have a guy wanting to work for me and he designs with illustrator. I don't have Illustrator, I mostly use Flexi. I do have Gimp but have never tried it. I was told they were real similar. Would it be good to practice with Gimp until I could get Illustrator? Are they that similar? What is the minimum Illustrator I could use? I have Photoshop CS5 so I don't need some big packge.

rjssigns

GIMP is an open source Photoshop type program. As far as what Ai you can get away with my wife has CS on her system and rips around just fine.

SignBurst PCs

Turn him loose in flexi. It has a lot of illy-like qualities. He wants to work for YOU. He needs to learn the tools of your shop.

^ This is a good idea. ^ I am a fan of Adobe products, but if you are a Flexi shop, teaching him to use Flexi may be more productive.

ExecuPrintGS

I actually learned Flexi before getting into AI. Flexi has a lot of tools that i still use today.
Im sure he will be fine in flexi but to me gimp =/= ai gimp is more photoshop than ai

CreatedDesigns

I say spend the 450-500 on CS6 design suite and let him get started. They may be more productive right off the bat and make you money than costing money to train on new software.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I say if he's worth hiring, get him Illustrator.

Or better yet, both of you switch over to CorelDraw. ;)

I love this idea.

But really ... anyone not willing to learn the software you prefer in your shop isn't worth the investment since if they leave ... you then need to work with all those files you don't normally use.

Getting the software your guy prefers is nice ... just make sure he takes those files and moves them to what YOU prefer when the job is done and that he know how to use flexi without the aid of illustrator.

C

ColoPrinthead

I say spend the 450-500 on CS6 design suite and let him get started. They may be more productive right off the bat and make you money than costing money to train on new software.
Sounds like someone is using the "student" version in their shop :cool:

shoresigns

I have a guy wanting to work for me and he designs with illustrator. I don't have Illustrator, I mostly use Flexi. I do have Gimp but have never tried it. I was told they were real similar. Would it be good to practice with Gimp until I could get Illustrator? Are they that similar? What is the minimum Illustrator I could use? I have Photoshop CS5 so I don't need some big packge.

Pro tip: pros use Illustrator. It's the de facto standard because it's powerful and efficient. Flexi may suffice if you're a small shop that doesn't do much design/layouts or if you mainly do cut vinyl.

hansman

^^^Agree with Shoresigns above^^^
It boggles the mind how you can run a sign shop without the proper tools:
Photoshop = Raster
Illustrator = Vector

skyhigh

Pro tip: pros use Illustrator. It's the de facto standard because it's powerful and efficient. Flexi may suffice if you're a small shop that doesn't do much design/layouts or if you mainly do cut vinyl.

Who's the "pro" you are referring to? Your view on Flexi is pretty far off base. I'll assume you don't have flexi, or you haven't been able to figure out all the features.

royster13

Who's the "pro" you are referring to? Your view on Flexi is pretty far off base. I'll assume you don't have flexi, or you haven't been able to figure out all the features.
Or they have Flexi Starter that came with their 200.00 US Cutter......

bikecomedy

I knew I was using the wrong word but it was all I had.. Thanks..analogous it is... But nice to know that PMS specification is not available in Inkscape. Thanks!