• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illy question on Offset Path

GoodPeopleFlags

When I do an Offset Path on text (converted to outlines), it groups the text with the path. Generally, I make the outline and the text 2 different colors so I end up having to ungroup everything then select each part of the outline and group it, then do the same for the text. It can be time consuming. At least when I get the outline grouped, I can just reverse select and not have to select each letter. But is there a way to tell it NOT to group everything when doing an offset path? Just group the path together and the original letters together? Thanks!

graphixtogo

Here's my method...

Outline Text
Copy and past text behind original text (Command C then Command B)
Change fill color
Offset Path
Option click on the "Add" button in Pathfinder menu (this welds fill and outline into one shape)

This should leave you with the front, original color lettering, and then a different color outline behind.

It's important to keep the pasted behind version selected the entire time you do this process; do not click off of it or de-select it.

If anyone else has a shorter version, please share!!!

Billy

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I do this a few ways.. usually I stack. Top is the letters, the back of the stroked version of it. When it's time to make a cuttable vector I will "expand" the stroke letters and the weld in "PATHFINDER" and it will be a solid cuttable outline to stack the filled letters.
I do it this way because I can get the outline I want because stroke is more accurate on the amount of stroke I want it to look like than the hit and miss of offset path.

Another way is convert your type to curves, then quickly compound, then offset path. Deselect and the you should be able to select the text or the outline independently.

sinetist

Here's what I do:
Ungroup the text after you convert it to outlines.
Select those outlines and apply the offset path .... that will be grouped - but not with the outlined letters.
Change the color of the offset path.

sinetist

Forgot to add .... the offset path that has been recolored will be behind the text that you changed to curves

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Before applying the offset I ctrl-c or option-c on the Mac (copy) the shapes. Then apply the offset. Once you have done this and while still selected. Combine all those shapes so that it becomes one shape. Paste ctrl-f and your original will now be on top and separate from the offset

synergy_jim

Before applying the offset I ctrl-c or option-c on the Mac (copy) the shapes. Then apply the offset. Once you have done this and while still selected. Combine all those shapes so that it becomes one shape. Paste ctrl-f and your original will now be on top and separate from the offset

my method exactly Dr. It works very quickly....

Vinylman

Here is how I do it;

While text is selected create outlines. { SHIFT/COMMAND/O} on a Mac.

While outlines are still selected: {SHIFT/COMMAND/G} ungroups letters.

While still selected go to the PATHFINDER menu select TOP LEFT {ADD TO} button and expand.

With letters still selected:
Go to drop down menu under OBJECT/PATH/Offset Path, select distance and check preview.
hit RETURN, and done. letters and background are now complete AND separate.
Change colors and adjust as needed.

Pop into pre-heated oven set to 375ø for 15-18 minutes, OR until firm to the touch.:ROFLMAO:

Mason

As with most things in Illustrator, there are a number of ways to achieve a desired result. It typically comes down to what are you most comfortable with.

Type/create outlines/ungroup (open the Pathfinder pallette) add to shape area/Object/path/offset path. At this point you should have the offset and the type outlines as seperate and ungrouped objects. The offset if not overlapping shapes will be seperate objects requiring either grouping or "welding" through the use of the pathfinders "add to shape area" option. change the colors and position as you desire and you are done.

good luck!

GoodPeopleFlags

Thanks for all the replies! Good info here. At least I know I'm not just a bonehead and didn't know I could just set it in "preferences" or something. Thanks!