Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Having trouble mounting clear reverse vinyl to acrylic

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by DAGRIT5, Nov 27, 2019.

1. DAGRIT5

DAGRIT5 New Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Tampa
    I have a piece of 3/8" acrylic roughly 4x3' that I need to mount a reverse print to for an office wall. In the past I've typically dry mounted with a laminator but sometimes run into issues with bubbles which I think is caused by small warps in the acrylic. I've tried twice with calendared vinyl and both times had bad results on this one. I'm thinking I need to try wet mounting however I may not have the right materials. I know typically wet mounting works best with cast material, do you think I would have any issues printing on cast lam and backing with cal white? I do not have any clear cast vinyl or white adh side cast. Seems like my only option at the moment. Thoughts?

Tags:
  2. RICHARD SIMMONS

RICHARD SIMMONS Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Panama city, Panama
    Usually, what I do is print on transparent vinyl, on mirror, laminate white and at the moment I apply, spray with a solution of soapy water (shampoo) both sides (vinyl and acrylic), place it and give a lot of squeggee. It's very simple

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I have done this and it usually works out well.
    The one thing it depends on is your clear lamination, some have adhesive that becomes milky / blotchy when applied wet.

4. DAGRIT5

DAGRIT5 New Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Tampa
    Ok so I did it, looks perfect. How long do you usually wait before trimming off bleed? In the past I've let it sit overnight but I'm guessing my boss is gonna want it installed today.

5. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I like to let it sit overnight too.
    It depends on the temp and vinyl, I usually give it 5 minutes cut the bleed & hard squeegee the edges (the edge will lay down better once the excess is cut away), wait about 20-30 minutes and do another hard squeegee to the edges, the edges will
    want to lift and "tunnel".
    Just a FYI, it make take a while for the adhesive to become milky / blotchy, make sure you look it over before your boss takes it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    If you use commercial app fluid it's ready for trimming almost immediately.With soapy water not so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I like to leave it out in the sun on a summer day for 30 min before trimming. When it's a little colder, I set it on the CNC table where the furnace happens to be directed and it dries even faster. I like to use a snap off blade extended a little more than usual, and "saw" the blade in one direction, going from the vinyl side down towards the acrylic. I also like to spend waaaaay too much time trimming stuff like this out, my OCD kicks in hard.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  8. Ardor Creative

Ardor Creative New Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Worcester, MA
    I'm in the process of doing 4 of these and I've been doing the oracal calendared clear printed in reverse with white vinyl. Mounting I use a professional app fluid called "Splash", it's a concentrate so needs to be diluted but a little goes a long way. I've never had problems with this method, and if there is a spec of dust in the print I have some play to lift and remove any blemishes.