• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I'm just a lowly sales guy... but...

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
I think I did OK with this.
Open to critique (and compliments!)

Carved HDU sign, 1/2" raised letters and border, 108" wide...
Customer wanted a palm tree and a "lake".

Distressed font is doable with a 1/8" router bit.

Attachments

• louisa point FB.jpg
    louisa point FB.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 591

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Did you carve by hand or machine ?? I guess it looks good. Is that a compliment enough for you ??

There's plenty going on there we could b!tch about, but I don't think you came here to hear that kinda stuff.​

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Did you carve by hand or machine ?? I guess it looks good. Is that a compliment enough for you ??

There's plenty going on there we could b!tch about, but I don't think you came here to hear that kinda stuff.​
It'll be machine shaped with hand details. Presenting this logo to the customer today for approval, but its a done deal. Their guidance on the design was - "Make it look pretty".

I took a 5 year break from this site, but remember some of your "critiques" Gino - I'll take the above gladly haha.

Marlene

I would fix up the script connections before making this sign (see circled in red) and would move the lower case copy over some.

Attachments

• louisa point FB.jpg
    louisa point FB.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 435

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I kinda like that upsweep not connecting perfectly appearance.... as he has it. I do agree with moving the copy closer to the first letter and I'd either eliminate the double lines in the back or handle it differently. It's too much all in one little spot. Also, I'd change the look of the border line. Instead of looking like a tank tread, I'd raise the roof about the tree and bring it down suddenly and have it go out as a more aesthetic look, therefore reducing all the negative space.

X Edge Tools

I think I did OK with this.
Open to critique (and compliments!)

Carved HDU sign, 1/2" raised letters and border, 108" wide...
Customer wanted a palm tree and a "lake".

Distressed font is doable with a 1/8" router bit.
Looks good!!

Marlene

Personally, I kinda like that upsweep not connecting perfectly appearance.... as he has it. I do agree with moving the copy closer to the first letter and I'd either eliminate the double lines in the back or handle it differently. It's too much all in one little spot. Also, I'd change the look of the border line. Instead of looking like a tank tread, I'd raise the roof about the tree and bring it down suddenly and have it go out as a more aesthetic look, therefore reducing all the negative space.

Agree and more. At this point, he said it is a done deal so all he can hope for is to fix up the really bad areas and make this thing.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Looks like the product of a third rate talent working at full capacity in 1956.

2B

Since this a completed project, a more relevant question would be is the end customer happy with it?
that is your more goal.

personally I would like to see more contrast between the text and the background, either use different colors or add a colored border around the text.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Since the OP has said it's a done deal and he'll BE doing certain things to accomplish this sign, I don't' get the impression it's a completed project..... anyway, not yet.

Only a very conscientious and concerned individual would come here for help to promote good will with his/her client, after the fact, which is what this person did. There's nothing wrong with going back to the customer and asking if they'd consider going with plan 'B'. It's done all the time.

Only a cheap yard sign or set of magnetics would require a..... if they're happy..... go for it.

This is probably a 2 or so thousand dollar sign and your reputation can teeter-totter on making wrong or unknown decisions. But, if you think just saying if the customer (who is relying on you to do your best) is good enough, then go for it.

DerbyCitySignGuy

This rationale is killing our craft and allowing far too much mediocre, poorly designed work to represent our entire industry in the eyes of the public.

I disagree. Ultimately it's the customer that we have to please, not some graphic designer driving down the street scoffing at every sign they see. Ugly signs happen, just like ugly websites are made, ugly houses are built, and ugly art is made. It's all subjective. You see an ugly sign, the customer sees "their vision".

The best we can do is try to steer customers away from unappealing designs, but we're all here to (ultimately) make a living. If you turn away a customer with a design you consider ugly, somebody else will make it for them. Might as well get that sale.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I disagree. Ultimately it's the customer that we have to please, not some graphic designer driving down the street scoffing at every sign they see. Ugly signs happen, just like ugly websites are made, ugly houses are built, and ugly art is made. It's all subjective. You see an ugly sign, the customer sees "their vision".

The best we can do is try to steer customers away from unappealing designs, but we're all here to (ultimately) make a living. If you turn away a customer with a design you consider ugly, somebody else will make it for them. Might as well get that sale.

What a designer has to be concerned about... (yeah yeah, I get paid money, but I made it a point to avoid designing cr@p years ago)

And my favorite... yeah, make the sale.... it's easy to design cr@p.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
To a point Derby, but with that mindset, you're giving into the weakest link. Sure, everyone wants to make a buck, but why not give the best we've got for the best buck they can afford ?? If you continue with.... well, that'll do..... the next person looking at that sign might be a potential customer, until they see the quality and/or craftsmanship of your last creation. They might say to the sign holder.... who made that piece a sh!t ?? I'm never gonna go to that clod. Besides, like I said, this is not a cheap sign. It's a routed and hand painted sign. It deserves more than a.... well, that'll do. How would one build up a scrap book or website portfolio with half/a$$ed signs in it ?? You don't build a good reputation by just getting by.

However, if you disagree and wanna keep making that kinda work, be my guest. It's just more people clamoring at the good sign shop's doors.