• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I'm just about at ground zero, Need help with getting things rolling

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Curious... in your posting you list it as home based but then mention low rent area. Do you work out of your house or a unit/office of some sort?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Splitting hairs over calling or showing up in person isn't the real concern here, the main ingredient is.... get yourself out there and become better known by introducing yourself in person, telephone, e-mail, flyers, brochures, having third party people introduce you, attending community functions, asking friends and relatives to introduce you to their friends or relatives.... and always have business cards on you for that moment when you least expect it........ and it's not Allen Funt in your face.

A

Aaron SDF

There has been a large amount of good advice given thus far. I may have missed it but we have yet to mention diversification at all.

As I understand, you can handle print/cutting jobs adequately but are failing to find enough work in these areas. Rather than throwing in the towel and trying to sell the machinery you have most likely paid for at this point, keep your core business and explore other avenues.

This was our main vision in creating our company. Allowing businesses employed in a specialized area the opportunity to expand. We are an outsource provider for dimensional signage and work with retail markets hand in hand.

Try to explore other options in signage that you don't currently provide, such as vehicle wraps and the like if you don't already do so.

Without a specific rundown of your operation it's difficult to speculate further but hopefully some simple diversification may get you out of the dark.

CentralSigns

Have you tried advertising. Cheap advertising, you make the stuff man. I would fully decal the vehicle, huge marketing there. Build killer cards and go door to door, to all the business near by. For me, the truck decaled gave me a huge amount of business, and before that the door to door would always put fresh food in the fridge for the family. Showing the business community the vehicle decalled shows your also serious about your business, also build a web page this adds credibility to your business. Give supper customer care cause word of mouth speaks for itself. That's a few ideas I used.

tomence

My wife cold calls everyday from 9am to 11 am. Out of 100 calls she gets at least and i say at least 3 appointments every single day. IMHO cold calling is worth trying if you dont have jobs at all. What you got to loose TIME?-you have planny. When i deliver to my customers i always ask for refferals(this is the best way to get 100% ready to buy customer). Also when i deliver and 95% of my job is making semi truck signs and that is how i advertise my buisness, so when i deliver i than offer more things like business cards, banners, screen printed t-shirt or hats or embroidery, promotional items etc. So this services i offer after i made the sale on the truck signs and gained the customers trust. So now insted of them going to 3 different places to get their items they can just call me and i make everything for them. People like to get their things from one place and work only with one guy/gal. Even if you dont own any pad printing machines or screen printing presses you can always sub out that work and still make money.

tomence

One more thing about the cold calling like Jill said people dont like to be botherd but still there are the ones that expect your call, so the question is is it gonna be you or your competition? Sometimes people dont know where to have their signs made so when you call them they will be happy to hear what you got to offer and at what prices. Trust me you will get yelled at when calling or asked where you got the number and so on but keep calling dont give up.

davidcarr87

and about cold calling..if they get mad...then its talked about between them and their friends...same as if they like you..you call 5 people...they all tell atleast 1 friend" you know im tired of people calling..like today this guy called from a2z graphic solutions tryin to sell me signs"--friend says oh yeah?? i need signs..whats his name...

or its..hey i had this nice young man call today offering me a special of 10% off on signage..i think i may go with him, he seemed like he would work with me"

either way...its getting your name out there...i keep track of the people i cold call, and use %%%%% a lot...sometimes the customer doesnt catch it..and even tho they may only be getting $5.00 off...they think 10% is big money...also..i give referral fee's..may not be much...but it just says thank you to the customer...
if you make flyers and give them to business..what i have done is at the bottom i put promo code:
and say their phone number is 936-123-4567
i put in the promocode box 91234567---all the area codes around here are simple.281, 936, 409, 713 i just use the first number of area code and then the rest of the phone number..its a easy numbering system..people dont catch it..and it lets me know where they got the flyer...sorry its so long but i tryin to help you out man...

good luck

J

john1

Thanks for the great advice everyone!

Tomorrow i'm going to stop in a few businesses around the area in the same industry and offer my services.

I have some tear off business card fliers made up with 10% off on them currently i will bring in with me.

I am very nervous about approaching random businesses but hopefully something goes through for me.

When i walk into a place of business, do i ask for the manager or owner or just talk to whomever is there? I know the owners aren't always at the businesses so this has me up in the air if my message will get through by leaving something with a clerk for instance.

I will keep everyone updated on what my situation is soon.

davidcarr87

def keep us updated--bout manager/owner..i would ask for them...
i walk into stores with a joking attitude..it kinda sets the mood..have smile on your face..
walk up shake hands..ask how business is..know your products..only way to sell em..
if you have to look at the flyer your passing out while you are talking..not good..means you dont know what you sell
be confident....im not sure if everything im telling you is good or not..so everyone else please join in...im kinda young..only reason i know this is because i use to go door to door selling direc tv...i have done the same in the small town i live in trying to advertise...

once you get a few people saying yes..be sure to get their information..name number best time to reach..be sure you call back..

anyone have any other ideas?? im willing to learn as well :D

best of luck to you tho..

AUTO-FX

I'm a HORRIBLE salesman and I know it. Having the layouts and everything ready to discuss played to my strengths. I would go in, find the owner, tell him right off the bat that I was the worst saleman he was going to meet so I didn't want to waste his time trying to talk him into buying a sign. I'd give him the layouts (stuck inside a cheap school folder with a business card) and ask him if he'd take a look at what I could do for him when he got a free moment.

good stuff, Pat ! I , too, am a horrible salesman and i like your approach to this weakness. i have always relied on Quality and Word of Mouth to keep the jobs list going, but things are tougher any more.

i have always found Word of Mouth best for me as i specialize in custom automotive stuff. And network yourself with everyone you run into.
On my way to the store the other day, i stopped in at 4 different places, left a couple business cards, gave 'em a brief description of what i do, and didnt waste anyone's valuable time. and i told them up front that i didnt want to use up alot of their valuable time, so i didnt linger and display my horrible salesmanlike qualities.
i also got a business card from every shop - this builds an e-mailing list.

those 4 stops only added a half hour to the trip i was taking ANYWAY.

the replies all you folks are posting is what makes 101 invaluable.

-chris

TheSnowman

When someone bugs me on the phone I flat out will not buy from them.
Maybe that's just me.

I won't buy from someone if they stop in OR call. They both are a waste of my time. When I need something, I will look up your information, or see an advertisement for that company, and I will contact them...I do not want my time bothered by other people that aren't here to make me money. However, there are lots of different personalities out there...some people may be ok with people taking some of their time for stuff like that.

royster13

I was out and about yesterday and starting asking folks questions about signs and more specifically when the last time they saw a sign sales person and/or received a phone call about signage......Most said they do not call us, we call them.....So I am thinking that anyone who gets out and offers their services, will find new work

Jon Aston

Cold calling random companies?!

Honestly, I can't imagine a worse use of your time.

If you're going to work the phones with the objective of getting appointments: Call existing customers. They already know you, are already familiar with your capabilities, already like you, already trust you. In other words, that hardest part of selling is already done.

Start with anyone who has purchased within the past six months. Statistically, they're about four times more likely to buy from you again. Make sure you are meeting with the person(s) responsible for making buying decisions related to marketing.

Don't "show up and throw up". This isn't about you. It's about them. Understand their needs. How can you help them get more of what they want? How can you solve their problems? How is business? What opportunities can you identify for helping them get more? Get to the appointment early and assess opportunities for making their business more visible, for improving the effectiveness of their signage, for promoting sales.

As a footnote, cold calling as a terrible, inefficient use of your resources. Invest in developing a marketing strategy, plan, and systems for attracting qualified prospects, generating sales leads and nurturing cooler prospects along toward their first purchase. Ditto for retaining customers for development and as a source of referrals.

Soapbox anyone?

tomence

Jon i thought you could do better than what you just said. You are telling people that cold calling is not working and make them feel not good about it. I don't care if you don't want to be bothered by somebody calling you but its not just about you there are customers out there that are willing to talk and learn more about the products you are offering. My cold calling brings me at least $1000 a week in profits and if that is not good enough then i don't what else is good and it takes only 2 hours of my wife's time.
Also i use constant contact for my email marketing and that brings ok money. You can't rely only on existing customers you always have to find new customers.
Hey Jon i got a question for you: Do you know what "guerilla marketing" is?

Jon Aston

You are telling people that cold calling is not working and make them feel not good about it.

I didn't say cold calling doesn't work. I said it isn't efficient. And I apologize for hurting your (or anyone else's) feelings. Not my intent.

My cold calling brings me at least $1000 a week in profits and if that is not good enough then i don't what else is good and it takes only 2 hours of my wife's time.

If you're happy with results, who am I to judge. But are you too focused on the transactional value of cold calls versus the potential lifetime value of those customers?

Also i use constant contact for my email marketing and that brings ok money.

Good stuff! How much is "OK money"? If you don't mind my asking.

You can't rely only on existing customers you always have to find new customers.

True enough. But the opposite is "truer": It typically costs 5-10 times as much to acquire a new customer as it does to retain and grow an existing one. Obviously, you need to find a balance. How much churn (customer turnover) do you have each year? If your marketing creates a revolving door, then you're wasting resources and missing opportunities.

Hey Jon i got a question for you: Do you know what "guerilla marketing" is?

Yes. Why?

Pat Whatley

I , too, am a horrible salesman and i like your approach to this weakness.

It turns your weakness (sales) into a strength (honesty) for the customer.

John, I could not disagree more about calling my existing customers and bugging the snot out of them for an order. I've got two big vendors that I bailed on for that very reason, one I had to go as far as call blocking them. There's no way I'm going to try that with my loyal customer base.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Again, splitting hairs is not going to solve anything.

I too, hate when phone solicitors call and bug me.... especially the ones that are annoying or hardly speak English. My problem is, I don't want to speak to those people that are only making calls as their only means of doing business if they can't get their message through to me in a minute and a half. Then its screw them.....:omg:

I find by calling someone you already know and talking a little and getting to the nitty-gritty will work most times. It's all in how you call and not always why you're calling. If I don't have time to talk to someone I know, I generally apologize, ask them what the call is about and I'll tell them if I'll get back to them or not. However, if I'm making a call to an existing customer and I let them know of a value product I have that I know they use and I could stretch their advertising dollar, do they want me to stop by and discuss it..... that works. I just did it last week and my customer is placing an order next week for almost $52,000 of products.

However, the same approach of suggesting a meeting by cold calling someone most times works for me also. In the last two months, I've been running a special at our shop. I cold called some, e-mailed others and phoned yet others. I got a good response from all of them. The biggest problem is getting small businesses to take advantage of anything. No one wants to part with their money these days, so you have to explain how you can save them money in these lean times in under two minutes.

Talking by phone to set up an appointment is in my opinion better than just showing up on their doorstep.

Many have to do things in the way they feel comfortable. That method I feel is wrong. Just because something is out of your comfort zone does not mean it won't work or that you can't learn to do it. Like anything, you must start doing something [everyone has to start somewhere] and start talking to people and selling themselves therefore their business in order to gain new accounts. Unless you have unlimited funds and/or can stay afloat some other way.... you either hire someone to bring work in or you do it yourself, but again the main ingredient is going and getting worthwhile customers.

Craig Sjoquist

Today's market has changed a great deal, I use to cold call alot and would get lots of business, I still cold call like new business or I see some sign that needs to be redone, and yes this does get me business, I really just say hello, who I am, this is my website of work when you have time then move on now days.

But these days I try and use the internet as my selling tool, and look for free ways to advertise, Hotfrog.com for one I make up a business name like ... sign painter in Orlando . fill in info, that will get get me near or at top of Google pages and this has worked well in people viewing and calling me, but also it has taken months to work well or noticing well.

I ride a bicycle to my jobs & sales calls, farther ones I hire my friends to drive with my equipment needed, I have no cash back up, no electric at home, but I have paid bills , as I can and now have bought a truck, next get it running and then electric back.

This has happen more then once in 35 years for sure several times really, but I will never give up, my skill has value there is always a way to sell it, just apply myself harder is all, if not working.

That's really all you need to do if you have skills and able, use what you have.