• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I'm no wrapper...big old FAIL

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
Friends...I'm an idiot. I used the wrong kind of vinyl on the bottom - it was regular, not wrap.

I ordered some Avery wrap this week because I had to try again - just did a small area and turns out with the right vinyl all things are possible. I'm going to try it on my truck over the weekend and if I'm successful then the customer said - let 'er rip on the fleet.

I should have asked for help before I started. Lesson learned LOL
another "experience journal" entry..... :)

also, a GREAT testimonial for those who want to cheap out and not use the correct vinyl for wrapping things.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A-ha.......................... then my post # 3 was correct. So, you're gonna lay down for this guy and do it..... huh ?? And for a whole fleet. Wait til the navy finds out about this.

BlueRoseAuto

Friends...I'm an idiot. I used the wrong kind of vinyl on the bottom - it was regular, not wrap.

I ordered some Avery wrap this week because I had to try again - just did a small area and turns out with the right vinyl all things are possible. I'm going to try it on my truck over the weekend and if I'm successful then the customer said - let 'er rip on the fleet.

glad you got it figured out.

truckgraphics

I'd like to know exactly how the magnet dented the door. It doesn't seem likely be there it is. Don't want to repeat the faux pas in my shop.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'd like to know exactly how the magnet dented the door. It doesn't seem likely be there it is. Don't want to repeat the faux pas in my shop.
The magnet was on the rear door about 2"-ish from the back of the front door. I opened the rear door and it happened. Probably lettered a couple hundred vehicles and it's the first time I've had an incident. This kind of magnet. I guess just take the magnets off before you open doors? IDK
1723050310548.png

BlueRoseAuto

I have opened the door before cutting my vinyl and it stretched and snapped lol but cant say i have ever crushed a magnet in the door before :)
good news, i bet you never do it again. lol you are going to have a magnet check list now

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
I have opened the door before cutting my vinyl and it stretched and snapped lol but cant say i have ever crushed a magnet in the door before :)
good news, i bet you never do it again. lol you are going to have a magnet check list now
Our installer did something similar, involving a magnet and opening the door. But in our case, fortunately it didn't actually damage the vehicle - just the vinyl he was installing which resulted in me having to print another panel.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
A-ha.......................... then my post # 3 was correct. So, you're gonna lay down for this guy and do it..... huh ?? And for a whole fleet. Wait til the navy finds out about this.
This is extra funny with an aircraft carrier in port here. Bars are busy.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller

did you wrap the hood in calendared vinyl?

Stacey K

I like making signs
So you wrapped the hood using the super thin stuff (with soapy water I imagine) and it came out ok?! I think you are a better wrapper than you know! You'll be fine with dry applied Avery SW900, though that running board will be a pain to get around.
That's exactly what I did and all 5 of the hoods turned out beautiful, I had zero issues at all. Vinyl was just the center area and I used the knifeless tape which worked great! The first truck we did as a "sample" and since the vinyl worked I didn't think much more into it for the lower part of the doors.

Yes - the running boards were a pain