• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I'm not Safe Anywhere

WildWestDesigns

I belong to a Ford group and a sub forum is for the 6.0L engine. Well there was a thread about a really good computer diagnostic tool for the "shade tree" mechanic, but it only works on Windows (unless you are good with the Wine program and you can get it to run off Linux).

I will be damned though if there isn't a Windows v. Mac thread in a truck forum. I'm just not safe from that anywhere.

skyhigh

That is ironic Wild.

The part I thought was funny tho, was the need for a "Computer Diagnostic Tool" and the 6.0. They should come with a computer diagnostic tool in the glove box.
:Oops: jk

WildWestDesigns

That is ironic Wild.

The part I thought was funny tho, was the need for a "Computer Diagnostic Tool" and the 6.0. They should come with a computer diagnostic tool in the glove box.

No worries here. We are a lepers of the PSD community, but we are a loyal group. The last of the diesels that sound like a diesel. Although if you think that a diag tool needs to be with the 6.0, imagine what the 6.7 needs.

signage

That is ironic Wild.

\

No worries, at leat they don't need a tow truck following them around! :omg2:Most tow trucks are Ford for a reason. To tow the Chevy's/GMC to the repair shop.

1leonchen

I belong to a Ford group and a sub forum is for the 6.0L engine. Well there was a thread about a really good computer diagnostic tool for the "shade tree" mechanic, but it only works on Windows (unless you are good with the Wine program and you can get it to run off Linux).

I will be damned though if there isn't a Windows v. Mac thread in a truck forum. I'm just not safe from that anywhere.

try dynoscan works pretty good for basic stuff and trouble shooting codes best one so far is the snap on ones the stand alone with computer interface.

WildWestDesigns

try dynoscan works pretty good for basic stuff and trouble shooting codes best one so far is the snap on ones the stand alone with computer interface.

AutoEnginuity is the one in the thread and that's the one I happen to use. For it's price point, it's really a nice piece of software.

Snap On is a good one to have. IDS is another one (Ford's software, but is sold to the general public, even though it's more expensive, it's still cheaper then my embroidery software, but not by much).

I've got a few others that I run, but specific to Ford as that's all the trucks that I have. AE just happens to be the one that I keep going back to for a variety of reasons.

Scott Reynolds

\

Most tow trucks are Ford for a reason. To tow the Chevy's/GMC to the repair shop.

I asked my brother why he had a fleet of Ford trucks at his company. He said said flat out, Ford trucks cost 15-20% less when your buying them in bulk. He said he tried to get Chevy and Dodge to match the price on the fleet side. It wasnt even close. His personal truck, not a Ford. (or Dodge)

My personal truck, not a Ford either. Bought it brand new in 03. One ton diesel, pull's hard, no smoke, good mileage and has never had a scan tool hooked up to it. I'll keep my 5.9L - 6 banger. :thumb:

Now that I think about it, WildWest, you ARE a trouble maker! LOL

WildWestDesigns

I asked my brother why he had a fleet of Ford trucks at his company. He said said flat out, Ford trucks cost 15-20% less when your buying them in bulk. He said he tried to get Chevy and Dodge to match the price on the fleet side. It wasnt even close. His personal truck, not a Ford. (or Dodge)

My personal truck, not a Ford either. Bought it brand new in 03. One ton diesel, pull's hard, no smoke, good mileage and has never had a scan tool hooked up to it. I'll keep my 5.9L - 6 banger. :thumb:

Now that I think about it, WildWest, you ARE a trouble maker! LOL

I had an 02 5.9 24 valve. It loved it down low, but boy she struggled on the highway staying at highway speeds. The tranny is their weak link, but the engine itself is solid.

But I still would keep my 6.0 with it's 64mm non vgt turbo, stage 1 injectors and a few other goodies.

What do you mean trouble maker? I am a saint.

WildWestDesigns

That requires a 6.0L to start to get a trouble code... good luck with that! We've put in over 15 new 6.0L motors in the past 3 months for ONE customer. ~175,000 and they're done. :(

All depends on how the fleet handled the 6.0. It is an engine that has tight tolerances, much more then my first diesel which was a 6.9 IDI. You can't drive a 6.0 like you did those trucks, or idle them like that etc. Have to have a different mindset.

Most owners don't, then you had the issue with tech ignorance, especially earlier on in the 6.0 production. Wrongful diagnoses of EGR Coolers when in fact it was the oil cooler plugging up that cascaded to EGR Cooler failure. Don't even get me started on the issues with people using shift on the fly devices for the mythical MPG improvements.

I could go on and on with this stuff.

OldPaint

you do know that those are INTERNATIONAL diesels????
just like chevys are DETROIT DIESELS
dodge is CUMMINS............
John Deere is YANMAR

WildWestDesigns

you do know that those are INTERNATIONAL diesels????

Yes, I am aware that for oh 20-30 yrs (maybe longer then that) you had a Ford and Navistar/International partnership with regard to diesel engines (PSDs and IDIs) and that after the 6.4 PSD, International no longer makes diesels for Ford. Kinda hard to miss since their name is plastered on the stickers that are on the engine as well.

However, to the average end consumer that buys the Ford diesel, it's Ford's engine as that is who they are going to for their warranty and/or general repair work in most instances.