• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I'm ordering!!

jiarby

Weeding yes.. easy since he says it is arial bold.

Maybe 1/2" papyrus? or maybe Avant Guard?! not so fun

Try this text///
"Bob's Best Bacon Parties"

That's 14 picks for the middles of the letters. Plus you are bound to lose a few of the i-dots and apostrophes. 100x14 is 1400 picks. Tedious... I hate doing that kind of work. That is why I need an intern! Or, at least an assistant. Maybe just a flunky, or even a groupie.

andy

This kind of crackpot pricing method wants to make me weep.

A piece of vinyl to cut your stickers may well cost £8 or £9 but that isn't the only cost... you've got to build in an allowance for ALL your overhead costs FFS.

The reason why so many people fail in this business is because they can't understand what it takes to price properly..... you think you're making £40 pure, sweet profit but you aren't... that £40 has to pay towards ALL your utility bills, your mortgage or rent, your machinery budget, spare parts and every bl00dy thing else.

The only thing you can't replace or buy is time... you have 20 days in a month to make enough to pay ALL your bills and pay you a salary... if you spend all day with your head in the clouds churning out cheap cr@p which IS NOT making you anything like the profit you think it is then you're heading for tears.... and then the poor house.

I don't care about vinyl sets for £50.... I do care about bull$hit myopic pricing which deliberately ignores the REAL costs of doing business in order to justify god knows what.

R08

Oh man .. how embarrasing.
I feel like the guy that whistles at a concert like 2 seconds after the clapping has stopped.:Oops:

(thought i was on current events but was really in golden oldies)

Tell me you didn't dredge up a 10 month old thread to be the math-nazi and correct a math error!

So, let me assist you...

Facts assumed to be in evidence:
1. There are 144 square inches in one square foot
2. The OP was (10 months ago) selling 1" x 8" cut vinyl decals at the rate of $50 for 100pcs
3. A 1x8 decal takes up 8 square inches.
4. 144 divided by 8 is indeed 18.

BUT... let's challenge some of your presumptions that led you to an incorrect conclusion:

1. He gets 100% yield from a square foot. He doesn't. The OP spaces these apart (as seen in image on his website of sample product) about 1/8th of an inch... maybe a little less

2. His plotter almost certainly uses friction rollers to advance the material being cut. This causes him to lose at least a half to 3/4" on each side... lets say .75x2,or 1.5". This means a 12" length of 24" vinyl only can yield a maximum of 270 sqin, not 288.

3. I laid out 100pcs of 1x8 and sent to job to my cutter(didn't actually cut it!) and the best yield I could get from a 24" roll of 651 was 100 pcs out of a 40" lenth of vinyl. 40" x 24" is 960 sqin.. or 6.66 sqft. I was spacing them .05" apart and the rollers took 1.35". I might be able to squeeze them out a little more but I am cobservative and do not want to risk a corrked feed rolling off the rollers.

4. 100 pcs divided into 6.66 sqft yields me 15pcs per sqft. 83.33% yield.

5. $50 gross sales divided into 6.66 sqft of material is $7.51 per sqft.

Not $9 as you felt the need to tell the world about a conversation we all quit caring about 287 days ago.

LOL..
Time to take my pills I guess and go try to sell something!
Maybe I will try to see if someone wants any 1x8 decals on Craigslist?

The above post is intended to be sarcasm & satire.

jiarby

The reason why so many people fail in this business is because they can't understand what it takes to price properly..... you think you're making £40 pure, sweet profit but you aren't... that £40 has to pay towards ALL your utility bills, your mortgage or rent, your machinery budget, spare parts and every bl00dy thing else.

you are preaching to the choir Andy... we all know that!

HulkSmash

That price is average for many sign shops for customer applied intermediate vinyl.
How does this come to a surprise?