• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

iMac - How to open the case???

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have a CD that won't eject from my old iMac. I anyone familiar with what to do to open the case so I can get at the CD drive?

taco

If you goto apple.com and look at the support forums there is documentation on how to do just about anything on those... Hope this helps...

TaCo

Sign_Boy

Stand on your desk and smash it on the ground. Your CD should come out then.

Just Kidding. Next to the CD drive there should be a pin hole, you can stick a paperclip in it and it should eject. Or you can hold down your mouse button and restart the system it should eject then.

What kind of iMac is it?
Love the macs even though I use PC at work, my G4 is sweet at home

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Nope, no pinhole for a paperclip and no obvious way to open the case. Ejecting the CD results in a jam and then an error report with no suggestion other than "don't do that". The CD drive is one that sucks the CD in thru a thin slot and ejects in the same fashion. Like everything else with Mac's ... really cool until something doesn't work as it's supposed to and then there's no easy way to fix anything.

I finally tricked it with a pair of tweezers to guide it, an ejection command and some very quick and nimble fingers to grab the 1/4" that popped out and was getting ready to go back in. Thanks for the suggestions.

OldPaint

I finally tricked it with a pair of tweezers to guide it, an ejection command and some very quick and nimble fingers to grab the 1/4" that popped out and was getting ready to go back in. HUMMMMMMMMM tweezers, 1/4"......nimble fingers.........you got lots of pratice???????))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

jenhuedepohl

Macs are made to eject any media if the mouse button is held down while restarting. Should work on all models. Won't always work on a jammed disk - but worth a try.

vid

arrr ya gonna put 'er back in an' seein' if it'll wurk the secund tiiiimmmmme?

I dare ya.........

Rod

FYI. Old friend that had Powerbook. Disc was jammed, solution to hold unit upside-side down and perform eject.

skyhigh

FYI. Old friend that had Powerbook. Disc was jammed, solution to hold unit upside-side down and perform eject.

That trick also worked on alot of VHS recorders.

HUMMMMMMMMM tweezers, 1/4"......nimble fingers.........you got lots of pratice???????))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thats not funny OP. I'm not surprised that Fred hasen't responded to your insulting comments (snicker, snicker) ahhhhhhhhem... like I was saying, NOT FUNNY.