• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Import/Export .DWG

Silverado

Hello Everyone.

I'am looking for the least expensive sign program that will import my old .dwg (generic CAD) files and export them to .eps, etc. That's all that I will be using this program for.

Any suggestions?

Thank You!

Checkers

Corel supports DWG and DXF files, but my success with it has been limited. Perhaps you can pick up a used copy or an older version?
I think my issues are caused by the fact that I know next to nothing when it comes to autoCAD or other 3D design software.

Checkers

Silverado

Hello Checkers... I have a very old, old version of Corel Draw-V5. It imports everything but .DWG files. Even AutoCAD DXF files but no DWG.

Thanks for your time... Roger

Rod

Import DWG and then export as EPS

You probably need a Foundation (entry-level) version of EngraveLab (see cadlink.com). Can you send me a sample file, with a brief description of the details that should be retained when exporting to EPS, etc.? Can you describe how the exported files are going to be used?

Send the file (or files) to techwww@cadlink.com and mark the message as "ATTN: Rod".

Cheers,

Rod at CADlink

Silverado

Hi Rod...

I have no way of sending a .dwg e-file. I can only save to disk.

Thank you for the offer though!

...Roger

Silverado

Hello again Rod...

Forgot to give you the rest of the information you asked about. I want to import a .eps or .al file using .dwg. So I need a program that will convert .dwg to either one of those file formatts.

I'll check into the software you mentioned.

Thanks again... Roger

47CP

Bolander,

I too have had good luck using Corel to work with DWG files which were generated from AutoCad 10.

If the files don't work correctly importing directly, and you have access to the original program, you might try plotting them to a file (hgl) and importing that into Corel/Whatever. This fixed my issue with the DWG files cutting in reverse order.

HTH,

DaveW

Rod

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Bolander[/SIZE][/FONT] said:
I have no way of sending a .dwg e-file. I can only save to disk.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I want to import a .eps or .al file using .dwg. So I need a program that will convert .dwg to either one of those file formatts.
Hi Roger,
That sounds odd. You can save the file to disk, but you are unable to send that file as an e-mail attachment?
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]47CP[/SIZE][/FONT] said:
you might try plotting them to a file (hgl)
Dave means HPGL. That’s a good idea to check.
Rod

Silverado

Hello Again Rod...

I sent that DWG file to your Cad Link e-address. Sorry about saying I could'nt send it, I fell into a brief computer memory melt down!!
:help: Hope you can do something with it.

...Roger

Rod

Opened DWG files in EngraveLab

I received both DWG files that were sent. Here is what I've observed:

• The files load into EngraveLab without error, though the text layout seems odd to me. The text letters load as line art objects, though the kerning seems too wide.
  • For comparison, I tried opening the files in both Illustrator CS2 and 10, though they would not load citing corrupt file errors.
  • I'm told there is a Windows version of Generic CAD (Windows version) floating about, though opening the DWG files failed to load the text, so I'm not certain about the value there.
On a side note, are you certain that EPS files are what you ultimately need? How are the files going to be used? Do you have something specific in mind, or are you seeking a better supported generic format for archiving files? (Hint: PDF)

Regards,

Rod at CADlink

Silverado

Hello Rod...

Utimately I just need a file extension that I can import to my Vinyl Master Pro and modify, if necessary, and cut.

Rod

Sounds good. So EPS sounds appropriate. A few years down the line, PDF might be more so.

Cheers,

Rod

Silverado

Hey Rod...

Thanks for all yor help! Flexi Letter and up will read DWG but hate to go to the expense. Also I read somewhere that the latest version of Flexi reads PDF.

...Roger

Idea Design

I don't know if I'm chiming in too late on this subject or not...but...I've found that when dealing with dwg files, the easiest way is to go into AutoCAD, window select what you need, copy by way of ctrl+c, back into illy, and then ctrl+v to paste the vectors.

I'm not that familiar with Corel, but I imagine you can do the same thing.

Either program will save a native file or a .eps or .pdf etc etc etc...