• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Importing PDF problems

Billct2

I have a designer working on a Mac using Adobe sending me a pdf file.
When I import it into Corel5 it says fonts are missing and substitutes the closest fonts, OK that is normal. The guy insists he shouldn't have to convert fonts to outlines when using a pdf, maybe not, I don't know. But there are also missing lines of text. He can't understand why I'm having problems. I just think therer wouldn't be any issues if he'd convert the fonts. Is it me or him?

J Hill Designs

him. he needs to convert to outlines. even if you have the font specified, it could be a different version of that font with different kerning pairs etc. --if he wants what he sees, he shouldn't be sending text as fonts.

WildWestDesigns

Now on my version of Corel thats interfaced with my embroidery program, it asks me if i want the font substituted or to have Corel convert to curves before it brings the design up on the screen. Comes in handy more times then I can count.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Importing PDF problems.

Man, if my PDF had a problem, I sure wouldn't want to import it...

...hat, coat...

Scott Reynolds

If a designer is preparing files for print, they should always convert to outlines and send you a couple of formats. Im sure the fonts are embedded, but coral just is having problems opening them.

Ask him to convert to outlines and send you a eps and pdf. Or have him just email the fonts. The pdf should have any Pantone colors listed on the same page to IMO.

d fleming

I can convert fonts to outlines when importing pdf into Signlab. If Corel can this for you then you should be able to handle it yourself without having to train a graphic designhole using a mac.

jfiscus

Rap Master
If it is a "press-ready" PDf file and he has created the PDF correctly, and then you are just placing it directly into the RIP to output on your end, then you should be fine with his PDF.

If he is doing the artwork in his native graphics program on his computer with Mac OS with his mac font collection, and then exporting it to another format (PDF)... and then expecting you to import it on your Windows computer with a different graphics program and different set of fonts - it aint gonna go smoothly without outlined fonts.

Some programs (like illustrator) sometimes have issues with outlines/strokes or other effects on the lettering changing once they are converted to outlines. So whenever possible I do not convert anything to outlines; however, I do not send much out of house to be printed.

WildWestDesigns

Some programs (like illustrator) sometimes have issues with outlines/strokes or other effects on the lettering changing once they are converted to outlines. So whenever possible I do not convert anything to outlines; however, I do not send much out of house to be printed.

I have never had that be an issue when a client has converted text to outlines and sent it on to me and I get files from Mac users, Windows users, and Linux users.

There shouldn't be an issue unless they are using complex fills or colors, but your basic colors, fills shouldn't be an issue at all.