• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Importing photoshop file with paths into Flexi

MHester

Hello, I have a piece of art that was created in photoshop. It's a layered file, and many of the layers have shape paths made (squares or circles) that I need flexi (flexi print and cut 10) to see and cut out. If I save the PS file to an eps or a psd, when I open it into Flexi, it flattens everything, and I can't grab the shape paths to tell them to contour cut. Anyone have any ideas how I can get Flexi to see these paths?
Thanks in advance.

ryandavis03

Hello,

You would have to Export the Cut Path's to Illustrator.

You do that by using Photoshop's File>Export>Path to Illustrator function.

Make sure you select every Layer that contains a Path before you proceed to the Function. Once inside you'll see a drop-down menu where you select All Path's. Then Export to AI file.

Open the file in Illustrator and there are your Cut Path's. It will look like a blank file because your cut Path's are just Path's (invisible). Make a selection around the whole canvas and you will see your Path's.

What I would do is save a Flattened Copy of your Photoshop file without the Path's showing (if they are). Then open that Flattened PSD Copy inside of Illustrator then Open the Path's AI file you saved prior and Place in on top. Make sure it's all still aligned.

Then you can Select the Path's an apply a Stroke to them so that your Software with recognize the Path's. Save that file as a High Quality PDF file from the Save as PDF setting and open that file in your RIP. Now you should see a Print layer and a Cut layer.

Hope this helps!

MHester

Thanks ryandavis03. Thats exactly how I ended up doing it, great minds think alike. lol. I was hoping there was a faster way, but this way got me through the job. Thanks again for your help :)

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I think you might be adding an extra step. You can directly open a PSD in Illustrator and it prompts you to either flatten the file or convert layers to objects. Just use the convert layers to objects option. Text made in Photoshop will even be directly editable as well any vector objects. Certain things cannot be edited though unless you are back in Photoshop. For example if you have text and used layer styles (blending options) in Photoshop to add a bevel or whatever then that particular text will not be directly editable in Illustrator other than resizing it.

MHester

Holy Cow Sightline, you're spot on! Thats the easiest ways possible, dang it, why didn't I try that earlier. That worked like a charm, and I'll use that shortcut all the time now. Thanks so much!