• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Improve your listening skills with one-to-one coaching/training.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Reminder, my being a Merchant Member allows me to promote myself.

If you are interested in improving your listening skills, then let’s have our first conversation.

Here is the deal.

Yes, I do charge for my training/coaching/teaching. And, I have numerous different financial plans available.

First things first. We need to get acquainted. I will only work one-to-one, preferably with a video conferencing platform. In getting acquainted, we will learn several things. First of all, can we work together? We will begin to assess your listening skills, and determine a course of action to take small steps to improve your skills. Old habits can be changed, but seldom is it easy.

Let me be clear, no charges, no fees will be developing before we both sense that there is a match and that something will be accomplished for your benefit. Think of it as a free sample, with no obligation whatsoever. At some point, after we get acquainted, we will negotiate a workable financial plan.

Let's get acquainted.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Robert, this sounds like a wonderful idea. Finally, you have outlined some of your intentions. I imagine we are to also trust in your abilities...... why ?? You want us to become a better listener, but I haven't seen that on your end. Not at all.

Communications is more along the lines you might try reaching out to, not listening. Any conversation, especially obtaining information from a client is a two way street. If all you do is listen to an end-user, it's like a teacher listening to the students. One needs to guide the conversation, show them or explain to them the various substrates and methods of fabricating signs. You want or expect a sign person to listen to an end-user spout off stupid wants, ideas or conditions ?? No, that is your job as the teacher. If ya just shut up and liten, nothing will ever be accomplished.

Many many years ago, I had a one-on-one meeting with a business coach...... and his approach was 110% your approach, now that I see this thread. He was of absolutely no help.

I'm not saying you can't help members here get along better with their spouses or employees, but not at all with an end-user. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you need another appraoch to get into the management of pricing or talking with people.

Here's one for you. Here at s101, I am very blunt and to the point. Why ?? Because we are an industry and I don't mince my words with like-minded people. No need to hold people by the hand or play reindeer games. It's hit 'em between the eyes and move on. Well, Friday, a captain form the Corp of army engineers was in. After we got everything settled, she told me some very flattering things, said by her army pals, some customers and her own opinions. I told my wife and she said, that is one of your best traits. Your very patient and educating the people all the time. I make everyone feel, like they are the only people who matter.

I would suggest to you, to do the same. Instead of coming here asking silly questions all the time and then dictating you won't tolerate those you don't like any further, to be fair to everyone, because no one here will listen to a problem maker. It's not in our blood. We want facts, not follies.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you are correct, it all starts with listening. It's an important part of the process. Reading non-verbal cues and between the lines (drawing the correct conclusion quickly), knowing what questions to ask, and what you are talking about are high on the list as well. All in all, it comes down to reading and understanding people's motivations, making a personal connection, and meeting their needs.

I'm would say I, like Gino, am fairly good at most of that. My weakness is that I don't spend enough time making personal connections with clients because I don't have a lot of time to spare. As I have gotten older I've invested more time with good clients and with others when time permits.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Robert, two items I would like to explore with you: First, which part of my comment did you like the most? And if you would, explain why. Second, is there anything you disagree with?

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Robert, two items I would like to explore with you: First, which part of my comment did you like the most? And if you would, explain why. Second, is there anything you disagree with?
Jester1167, you have done a masterful job of summarizing why listening is so important. You ask, "What did you like the most?" Well, I liked all of what you said but let me pick one: "making a personal connection..." Let me explain, one of the major reasons I love the sign making industry is because there are opportunities to make deeper connections with clients. More than most other industries, it is a people to people industry, where, as you say, "good clients..." become friends, become clients for life. Indeed, I could tell you dozens of stories about so many of my clients that enjoy the "personal connection..." with their clients.
Then you ask if there is "anything you disagree with?" No, I agree with everything you said.
Let me add one observation that I appreciate. As you say, "fairly good at most of that." Let me encourage to give some thought to how you can build on that. The benefit, the better you get at listening, it actually saves you time.
Jester1167, I hope I have answered your questions. Please feel free to continue our conversation.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Robert, this sounds like a wonderful idea. Finally, you have outlined some of your intentions. I imagine we are to also trust in your abilities...... why ?? You want us to become a better listener, but I haven't seen that on your end. Not at all.

Communications is more along the lines you might try reaching out to, not listening. Any conversation, especially obtaining information from a client is a two way street. If all you do is listen to an end-user, it's like a teacher listening to the students. One needs to guide the conversation, show them or explain to them the various substrates and methods of fabricating signs. You want or expect a sign person to listen to an end-user spout off stupid wants, ideas or conditions ?? No, that is your job as the teacher. If ya just shut up and liten, nothing will ever be accomplished.

Many many years ago, I had a one-on-one meeting with a business coach...... and his approach was 110% your approach, now that I see this thread. He was of absolutely no help.

I'm not saying you can't help members here get along better with their spouses or employees, but not at all with an end-user. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you need another appraoch to get into the management of pricing or talking with people.

Here's one for you. Here at s101, I am very blunt and to the point. Why ?? Because we are an industry and I don't mince my words with like-minded people. No need to hold people by the hand or play reindeer games. It's hit 'em between the eyes and move on. Well, Friday, a captain form the Corp of army engineers was in. After we got everything settled, she told me some very flattering things, said by her army pals, some customers and her own opinions. I told my wife and she said, that is one of your best traits. Your very patient and educating the people all the time. I make everyone feel, like they are the only people who matter.

I would suggest to you, to do the same. Instead of coming here asking silly questions all the time and then dictating you won't tolerate those you don't like any further, to be fair to everyone, because no one here will listen to a problem maker. It's not in our blood. We want facts, not follies.
Gino, I so much appreciate that you are "very patient and educating the people all the time..." In your own way, you have really educated me and I look forward to learning more.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Good luck getting him to respond!
Signage, interesting that you picked up on one of my not so good moments in a thread. Sometimes I do get frustrated and have to step back and clear my head. Notice, I removed that paragraph from the thread. Otherwise, my intent is to respond to every reply, unless the reply is completely off the topic. I am open to hearing what you might want to say.