• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

In a Pickle

mesheau

Here's my dilemma,

We've received a municipal contract do re-do existing tourist directional signage, its a basic shape, rectangle arrow with a curve at the top. Seemed pretty simple when they first appeared in the shop.

However, what I have to do is re-create the sign blank in Illustrator. I've been doing ok so far, although the curve along the top is giving me grief.

So far I've tried numerous measuring attempts, and also scanned it into illustrator.

Can someone else give me some options, I would really hate to have to contact the previous sign company for the files.

Cheers
Graeme

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
How good are you at using Illustrator?
How close does it really have to be?

You should be able to hit it within 1/16" with no problem

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
look at it as geometric shapes. You can often weld together rectangles and ovals/circles to give you the look you want.

Or you can send it to me, I do these all the time

mesheau

I'm getting closer, right now its trial and error. The curve at the top is not symmetrical, which is why I resorted to scanning, this seems to be the best option for me right now.

Also the arrow is off too, seems to be longer on the top side.

mesheau

look at it as geometric shapes. You can often weld together rectangles and ovals/circles to give you the look you want.

Or you can send it to me, I do these all the time

I know Welding from Flexi, but would it be Object>Path>Join in illustrator?

I'm pretty good at Illustrator, I scanned the top of the curve, Live traced and expanded and seems to be a pretty good path so far.

SignManiac

Yep welding shapes and a few node edits. Easy stuff really, I just had to reproduce a pair of ass cheeks for a logo. Took about ten minutes for a really clean version.

jfiscus

Rap Master
yeah, a picture would help us understand your problem.
to keep the curves symetric I would use the effects>stylize>round corners on the triangle/square shape you're describing then combine them into one object.

signmeup

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can "weld" in Illustrator. Semantics, I know....but you might confuse the poster.