Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions In Memory of...using a Harley logo

Discussion in 'Designs & Layouts' started by Stacey K, Jan 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Stacey K

Stacey K I like making signs

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Hi All! I just had a customer stop in looking for some "In Memory of" decals. She wants me to replace the wording of the Harley Davidson logo with her own wording. This type of thing makes me nervous...please advise on how much I need to change the logo...or should I find something similar? Thank you!

Tags:
  2. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    If it is a couple of stickers I'd do it. It would be a bad move for Harley to take you to court over memorial stickers someone wanted on one car.
    If it's a couple hundred or something....

3. Stacey K

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    She wants 100 and I'm only 1 hour from the world head quarters of Harley Davidson...

4. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Yep. A couple, no problem. Hundreds.. then there's an issue. Harley isn't quite as bad as they used to be. I see lots of "Harley-ish" logos out there.

5. flyplainsdrifta

flyplainsdrifta Active Member

Oct 13, 2017
    ct
    iffy, id try to push her into another direction if possible.

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Honestly, I'd tell her...... no, I can't do it. Whether it's a lot against the law or a little against the law..... you could get in a lotta trouble, even if she signs a waiver. Remember, you are the one producing and duplicating copyrighted no-nos, not her. Your job is to tell her its not doable. Sorry.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    This is something that I've never understand how anyone can think that it would cover them (I'm not saying that you did say that, it's just that I hear it all the time, from people with a lot of years in the business and they believe this). If the client doesn't have permission to get the work done, how can they actually absolve "you" of any liability? It's not in their ability to do so.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. webguru

webguru Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Indiana
    I wonder if the bank will call the police if I only steal a little money from them?

• Like Like x 1
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  9. sardocs

sardocs Active Member

Jun 17, 2005
    pender harbour bc
    HARDLEY WORTHITSON.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    The bank would never call the police, they have a button to do that for them!

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  11. jwilde

jwilde Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Muskegon, MI
    I would suggest an alternate route. Even using the Bar and Shield shape is a problem. Harley is really protective of it's brand and anything that resembles it. Chances are nothing would ever come from it, but that's a decision you have to make for yourself.

Remember the Disney story of the Parents that couldn't use the Winnie the Pooh quote on a child's headstone?.. DENIED, until the media got ahold of it and made it a PR problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Oh snap, one hour from harley? Go ask for express written permission! What's the worst that could happen. I emailed ILM once I found the appropriate email address concerning reproducing the scene from Star Wars with the falcon jumping into hyperspace for my back glass. Two weeks later they said no, and then a couple of months later Disney bought them all up.

13. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Local sign shop had a meeting with H-D execs regarding a big project that was underway. Shop owners thought it would be a nice touch to have easel signs with the HD logo at the entrance to the meeting room, and table toppers too.
    As soon as the HD folks filed in all hell broke loose and went downhill from there. In the end every piece had to be destroyed into unrecognizable bits while the HD people watched.

True story as relayed to me by a friend that managed the shop.

Don't mess with them or any other copyrighted material.

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 2
  14. Stacey K

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    OK, this is an easy one for me to say no to now. She wanted the crest with wings on the sides. I just did a mock up of the words with some random clip art wings - crest or Harley lettering. Take it or leave it I guess. Thanks all!

15. Jay Grooms

Jay Grooms Printing, Printing, Printing......

Nov 20, 2018
    Burlington Wisconsin
    nope-nope-nope!