• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

In memory of

Doug Pulver

I was just asked to do some vinyl for someone who wants to remember a friend who passed away. I've got no problem doing this and charging for my time and materials. However, this guy that passed away was into local drag racing and I know that when everyone else sees the "decal" they'll want one (he was well liked).

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but what happens when the family sees this and wants to be compensated or files a lawsuit? I don't know if this will happen but I'm so new at this that my mind is working overtime. Am I over reacting?

TheSnowman

I don't get it. A family is going to file a lawsuit against who? You for making the decal? I doubt that would happen if you were selling them to people that knew him in the community.

WOODBS

how many and how big are the decals? ever thought of just donating for the cause? no worries

SuperSignsMP

There were three teens that were murdered in our community about 5 years ago. This type of thing never happens around here. The owner of the shop I worked at then and me worked out a deal. He donated the materials and I donated the time to cut and weed them. We gave them to the friends and family to give out to other friends.

Doug Pulver

Thanks for all the comments.

I thought I'd ask a guy I know if he needed any vinyl for his race car and this is what he asked for. I told him I could do it and he asked how much. After I told him I'd get back to him with a price I started thinking about hypothetical things that could happen. This is why I posted my concerns.

I am so new to the sign business that this would be my first job.

The decals are about bumper sticker size.

omgsideburns

I'd offer them for free for pickup.. or stamp your name on the backing paper. You might get some work out of it if they hand out enough.

CarolinaCabinet

Thats a good idea for the sake of being cool about a tribute, and for advertising if you are new. Give the family 10 or 20 of them with your name stamped on the back with contact info, and tell them to take these free of charge and sorry for their loss. Tell them to give these to close family members for free and ask if anyone else comes by and ask for any more to be made then you will charge them for the extras at regular cost. This way you have contributed, you have advertised, and if they want more you have their permission to charge people for coming by and bothering you for extra. I think that covers your whole problem at once.

sarge

i sponcer a bike deal for a couple local clubs that do a memorial ride .. i just give them away .. with my biz stamped .. it has returned many times over