• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

In need of an explanantion about Print Quality!

SwiSh

First off I'm using a Mutoh Falcon II Outdoor, and for 2 years now I've printed everything at 360x360. I have a huge job coming that will require printing photographs at approximately 48in.x96in on banner material. My question is if the Print Quality set up on my printer will factor into the image quality of the photographs? I'm curious if someone can explain exactly what the Print Quality does for me?
I have some images that I will play around with, probably printing one at 150 dpi, another at 300 dpi, one at full size, and another blown up through my rip program, etc. I'm just wondering if the Print Quality on my printer will help with image quality of the photo's? What's the advantage of printing things higher than 360x360? Mostly, everything I do is vector art, but these will be high-res, 300dpi photographs. My appreciation to anyone that can help! Thanks! :thumb:
SwiSh

Jackpine

From my printer I print 720x720, high quality, normal, bi-directional or high speed. From the file it depends on the quality of the bitmap. It is the pixels that count in the file.....the printer prints the DPI.

randya

360 x 360 in one square inch is 129600 drops
720 x 720 in one square inch is 518400 drops
Drops may be smaller (or Variable sizes) in 720 giving you the ability to increase the quality of your print.

It takes roughly the same amount of ink to get the same density on the same media.

Last edited:
S

Sign-Man Signs

Posted this once before. We print 720 x 720. This may help.

Dither Types
Came across this today and thought I'd pass it along.
DITHER TYPES
For FlexiSIGN-PRO and PhotoPRINT​
Dither Types really do influence the results of your finished prints!​
Here are the basics to help you understand the differences:
Here is what they do…​
DITHER TYPE​
is the pattern in which the individual dots that make an image are applied onto the media. The RIP
translates the screen image into the ink dots to be laid on the media. A fast processing Dither Type will lay the color dots in a
pattern, and sometimes we can see the pattern effect. More “random” looking patterns actually take much longer times for
the calculations, but generally result better print results, and less moiré pattern. Each of the various Dither Types had
advantages in terms of print quality and RIP speed; usually with speed and quality being a trade-off. (The default Dither
Type is generally the best for that selected device). Below are the various Types, rated for RIP time and print quality:
Here is what they mean…​

KF DIFFUSION:​
Generally the highest quality Dither (least likely to show a dot pattern). This is an enhanced version of
Error Diffusion. While it takes the longest to RIP (5-6 times longer than FMXPress) it provides the highest detail and
contrast for most inkjet printers. RIP 5; QUALTIY 1
ERROR DIFFUSION:​
For high-quality images, this enhanced method requires intensive processing (3-4 times more than
FMXPress). RIP 4; QUALTIY 2
RANDOM DIFFUSION:​
For good quality images. This Dither Type is a balance between print quality and RIP time. This
method takes 2-3 times longer than FMXPress. RIP 3; QUALTIY 3
FMXPress DIFFUSION:​
This is the default Dither Type for most Inkjet printers. This offers the fastest RIP time, and is
suitable for most popular print types. RIP 2; QUALTIY 4
LX DIFFUSION:​
This method has the fastest RIP time. This Dither Type is a good choice for large prints that will be
viewed from a distance. RIP 1; QUALTIY 5
ANGLED SCREEN DIFFUSION:​
This Dither Type was designed to be used with Thermal Transfer printers (Edge? and

ColorCAMM
? ) to produce vibrant saturated colors. This method is also the choice for printing positives for screen-printing.

SwiSh

OK..
So does the Dither Type come from the printer or the RIP program? I can't seem to find any info through my printer information that tells me a Dither Type. But, basically, the higher dpi resolution I print at on my printer, the better image I will get? Right? And if I change that res on my printer, than I would assume I would have to match that up in my RIP program? (I'm using Onyx)

The Dither info is quite interesting! Thanks for posting that Sing-Man!

SwiSh

randya

Dither is in the RIP, you SHOULD use the one the profile is designed with for best results.

The RIP will rip a file in whatever resolution you like (whatever profile you have). Onyx will automatically override the printer settings.

javila

Print resolution : 720 x 720 8 pass bi directional
File resolution: 100 ppi @ final size

You should get more than sufficient "quality" out of that considering it's going on a banner.