• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

In need of Health discipline...where do I go?

Colin

I'm pretty sure it's a min. of 20 min before you body goes into "fat burning" mode.

Right. So if one stops at 20 minutes, little to no fat is burned.

Anything 50 min on over is overkill as it falls under diminishing marginal utility.

It depends on what your goal is. If you want to do the absolute minumum, ok, do that, but if you really want to be lean & mean, do some more. The key for the O/P is to start slow, and gradually build up.

Note everyone: notice that there are no fat people in old folks homes. They all died.

Bly

Join a gym and DO something. You won't do anything on your own. You can drink your fizzy drinks and lose the fat if you get active. I eat like a teenager... and drink beer.

I started TKD at 43. I can kick the ass of an 18 year old now (I'm 51). Try that.

Join a gym and get them to set up a program for you.
If they are any good they'll make sure you set achievable goals and you will start getting fitter and lose weight within the first month.
Muscle burns more fat than blubber.

WildWestDesigns

Right. So if one stops at 20 minutes, little to no fat is burned.

No, within that first 20 minutes your body starts to use the "instant energy", the carbs/calories that you were putting into your body through snacking or drinking etc within a recent timeframe. That will be converted to fat if you don't use it as an energy source, so in one instance, you are burning fat just not what is stored fat, which is the ultimate goal. Once you've been working your body longer it begins to "think" that it needs to be pulling that energy from elsewhere, so it goes into your "reserves", which would be your fat storage. Fat is energy that you didn't use within a certain time and therefor, it got converted to fat by the body. Conversion rate depends on your body metabolism and the actual food/drink/whatever substance.

It depends on what your goal is. If you want to do the absolute minumum, ok, do that, but if you really want to be lean & mean, do some more. The key for the O/P is to start slow, and gradually build up.

If I were to use that logic, then "you" wouldn't want to take off that day to allow your muscles to rebuild. Just that one extra day in order to be a little more leaner and meaner.

There is only so much a body can handle unless you are going to do something else to "supplement" the body.

Note everyone: there are no fat people in old folks homes. They all died.

My 96 yr old grandma would argue that point. How she made it, no one knows.

Baz

Loosing weight is relatively easy .. You pretty much know what to do. Keeping it off thought requires a lifestyle change ... For starters it would be to eliminate the soda. Once in a while is not bad but it shouldn't be part of your regular diet.

In my case i would like to lose about 20 pounds, so i should at least start to eliminate beer. But i tell myself that being happy should count towards staying healthy and beer makes me happy!

WildWestDesigns

I forgot to add that not all 40 minute workouts are created equal. You can add degrees of difficulty to your workout, get more bang for your buck and still stay below diminishing marginal utility.

"You" work "your" way up to 40 minutes and after your used to that amount of time, you can increase (or even decrease depending on what you are talking about) the speed. If it's aerobics, you can change up the "pattern" that you are doing as well, either on the machine or if you run/jog/walk you can add pattern work in that as well. If you do pattern work, increase or decrease the size of pattern and change your speed that you do the pattern work accordingly. In other words, make your figure eight circles tighter or make them really big if you do the walk/jog/run thing.

Don't think that 40 minutes in of itself as a limiting factor, be creative there are ways to increase your calorie burn within that 40 minutes.

Si Allen

Weeellllllllllllllllllllllllll...................

My Doctor told me that I should lose some weight and quit smoking, it would extend my life.

I looked at him and said that I am about to turn 77 ... and would that extra time be in a rest home, wearing Depends and eating soft foods?

We both laughed.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hightop

I also have washboard abs....somewhere under that pile of laundry.

Jim
:ROFLMAO: I had a pretty good pile of laundry for a long time. Health problems made me think I couldn't exercise. I joined the Y and spent some time with a personal trainer. That helped some. Now I do water aerobics. The biggest change was that I stopped eating JUNK! I have lost 20 pounds since Easter, in addition to what I had lost before that.

You won't get anywhere standing still. Take small steps in the right direction and you will get momentum. :thumb:

Colin

Take small steps in the right direction and you will get momentum.

Yup. And I failed to mention......you don't have to get into a sport, or gym or exercise "work-out" regime. Walking, specifically brisk walking, is one of the most under-rated forms of exercise. It's free, and you can do it with your spouse/friend/dog. Just get good shoes. Start slowly is the key with anything though, because if you over-do it at first and get aches & pains, that can be a negative experience, providing for a potential reluctance to do it some more.

That combined with a good diet will work wonders.

eye4clr

So, this question is for the health conscious "old" guys out there: Where can I go on the web to find a realistic health regimen for strength and conditioning...and eating healthy...and encouragement for sticking with it?

Start with the mirror to find inspiration and discipline. The rest is simple education.

Find something that you feel is fun. A martial art, cycling, lifting weights, crossfit (if you really want to charge it hard), swimming, or quiet walks in the woods. You do need to exercise or you have to be a diet nazi. Plus your energy level will go through the roof, your sex drive will wake back up, you'll think clearer, and be in a better mood.

Start today....not tomorrow, not next week, not after this or that event. It has to be a part of what you do every day.

Farmboy

Cut out fast foods, the soda and all the other processed snack foods. I never stop eating at work. I snack on almonds and raisins. I keep some bananas and other fruit around too. For meals...get to like chicken, fish and fresh veggies. As others have said, losing it is the easy part, keeping it off is the hard part. You lose the weight and reach your goal, then you slack off again. It's the slacking off that will get you. The best coach you have is your bathroom mirror :) I like the Men's Health magazine, they have some good articles about exercise and eating. Good luck!

signmeup

Enough with the fat marathon runner. You know what I meant. If you want to get in shape it's gonna hurt. You'll have to do physical work. Being thin doesn't equal being in shape. Plenty of thin people are in terrible shape.

Taekwondo will shape you up and make you member of a group who support and encourage each other. Is it hard? Yes. That's kinda the point. Every so often you get rewarded by earning a new belt. That's one of the reasons it works... it's goal oriented. You're always striving to improve and reach the next level. There is also a built in incentive program... move or get kicked! TKD is a total body workout. We do pretty much everything you see on those P90X commercials plus we throw in full contact fighting. Don't worry about not being able to handle it. We have people of every ability and they just do their best. We respect everyones ability who tries their best, whatever that may be. No one will make fun of you if you can't jump as high move as fast as they can. That's the support group part. When I started I could only do 1 situp and no one made fun of me. (I can do more than 100 now.)

Bottom line is you have to do something physical with hard work in it that leaves you out of breath. Once you get started you'll become addicted to the endorphins. You'll feel withdrawal symptoms when you can't make it to the gym.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Every time you go on someone is having their heart or guts worked on or taken out.

Hey! I represent that remark! Still, you have no idea of the knowledge any of us less fortunates have of health matters. OP is a veritable walking encyclopedia of fitness knowledge - I'd say there's credible evidence that what he has been practicing helped with his "miraculous" bounce back from what should have been a fatal heart attack. In my case, following what I learned from Dr. A. Scott Connoley's book and website (bodyrx.com) has kept me bouncing back thru 17 major surgeries... or is it 18 now? The point is, you cam't dismiss those of us with demonstrable health crises as having no credible knowledge of fitness matters,

Tim Aucoin

http://timaucoin.isagenix.com

I've released 75lbs. so far and still going! (My wife has released 68lbs.) :Big Laugh:clapping:
Increased energy level, very healthy feeling, no soda since November last year (water is my staple drink now), better mood and outlook on life, better memory, and many more benefits. It's amazing what our bodies are capable of when cleansed of all the toxins we are exposed to each and every day in the food we eat and the air we breathe!

TheSnowman

I'm 28, but I've been a Mtn Dew addict since I was in High School. I bet I used to have 4-5 cans a day. I did that for several years, then cut it down to just a couple a day. Then I decided I was going to drop it down to just two a week, that was about three months ago. So far so good. I'm drinking a ton of bottled water w/ those little crystal light lemonade powder deals in them. That's good stuff.

I doubt I've lost any weight, but I've at least taken my body off of it's dependance on it. Now if I'd just get my butt out of bed in the morning and go do something that pumped my heart, I'd probably be getting somewhere.