• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

in search of dark gray vinyl, darker than normal

tiredcreations

I have 2 customers with a really dark gray in their logo. One is Pantone Black 7c, the other is 85%K (cmyk).
They are both needing vehicle graphics. One is rebranding and doing about 20 vehicles, so I want to get the colors right.
I've looked through samples of Oracal, 3M, FDC & Avery, but can't find anything dark enough. Black is too dark and Oracal & FDC's
Dark Grays are too light. The gray part is lettering (the company name not a graphic) so I'd rather not print/lam/contour cut. I think
they are OK going with a little bit lighter gray if that's the only option, but I like having colors right. Does anybody know of a manufacturer
that has a real dark Cast gray vinyl?

Snydo

How about the Dark Grey ORAFOL 970RA Wrapping Cast?
I know you said you checked Oracal but I don't think 970 is in the standard swatch book.
ORAFOL 751 in Anthracite color is a deep dark grey also.

striper14

just use avery Komatsu Grey 759-01..i know its calendered but for text on a company vehicle thats what i'd use..i've got avery 747 marine blue on my van & its just having its tenth birthday..i had the van cut & polished & its good as new..the air brushing on the logos looking a bit rat chewed tho..:ROFLMAO:

tiredcreations

just use avery Komatsu Grey 759-01..i know its calendered but for text on a company vehicle thats what i'd use..i've got avery 747 marine blue on my van & its just having its tenth birthday..i had the van cut & polished & its good as new..the air brushing on the logos looking a bit rat chewed tho..:ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't be opposed to calendered if the color was right i guess, I've had good results with it too. I'm not finding the Komatsu Grey in my Avery book or the Fellers catalog. Is it brand new or has it been discontinued?

tiredcreations

odd. I always put duranodic on a bronze / dark brown but gerber translucent duranodic DOES show it as a match to black 7c

I saw that too but the regular cast vinyl doesn't show a match to 7c, maybe the cast and translucent are that much different? We'll see what
the samples say..

jfiscus

Rap Master
It is a bit of an "off-gray" as opposed to a true gray but it is a dark gray vinyl.
But really there is a reason that there isn't any vinyls available in-between that and black; it's because from 5 ft away they're gonna look black.
If you do a step-print at 5% between 0-100% black on a digital printer anything over 80% or so appears black. A monitor can display subtle differences because the colors are projected/displayed instead of reflected (or the lack of reflection in black's case) back to your eyes.

phototec

I see oracal also has Komatsu Grey (720)... 751 High Performance Cast

Yep, I concur the Oracal 751 High Performance Cast Komatsu Grey (720) should be just what you are looking for.

This is my first chance to use my new Oracal Color Fan, and the actual sample matches what you want to do.

striper14

Yep the oracal 751 komatsu grey should be perfect...the avery 700 series we get here in oz is european so you might not get it in the US