• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

In the market for a new cell phone

SqueeGee

I'm firmly a PC guy but it's tough to not strongly consider the iPhone. My wife had one before I did. During that time, I tried not to like it but couldn't keep up the act. When we switched from ATT to Verizon, I sold her 2 year old phone for $200. It's crazy how well they hold their value. If it were me, I'd wait until September and either get the newest phone on contract or buy someone's iPhone 4 without a contract.

+1 for the Otterbox also. I don't use it but one of my guys does. He's hard on stuff and it works great for him.

Pat Whatley

Biggest thing I can suggest is looking up the battery time....IGNORE THE IMAGINARY NUMBERS THE CELL PHONE COMPANY TELLS YOU. The Droid operating system is a battery hog. My phone promised 24 hours....the real world shows that 10 is pushing it.

Sign_Boy

I have no problem waiting for the new line to come out.
This phone should hold up a while longer.
I'm in no real hurry right now.

Battery life is a big deal.

Jim Doggett

The Droid operating system is a battery hog. My phone promised 24 hours....the real world shows that 10 is pushing it.

That's if running 4G, which chews up battery pretty quickly. I stick to 3G, as rule. Also I turn of Wifi and GSP when not using / needing those features.

I think you'll see a huge reduction in battery use of you do the same.

FWIW

qmr55

Oops, forgot to add: turn of Bluetooth, too, if not using it.

+1 also turn the screen brightness down, no need to be all the way up!

(don't use auto brightness)

If you're having battery problems look up how to root your phone, then reset the battery stats on google....pretty easy process and produces results.

Also, Adjust your radio settings...

1. Go to your dialer
2. Dial *#*#INFO#*#*
3. Click 'Phone information'
4. Scroll down to the first dropdown selection and set according to your preference below...

· WCDMA preferred (default) - This will automatically switch you between G/E/3G/H depending on the best signal available by constantly monitoring all signals. This uses the most battery.
· WCDMA Only - If you only want to use 3G/H (3G) and do not want to use G/E (2G) select this.
· GSM auto (PRL) - This is the preferred option as it will allow you to use G/E/3G/H but uses the PRL list on your phone (provided by your carrier in the PRL update) rather than constantly monitoring all frequencies thus saving your battery. This may not work with all carriers if you have difficulty getting mobile data in some areas you will have to use one of the other options.
· GSM only - If you only use G/E (2G) select this (it's the same as selecting '2G only' through the settings menu). This option uses the least battery.

signswi

I'm a huge Android fan, here's an answer matrix for Verizon as I see it:

Have 4G: HTC Thunderbolt
No 4G (most people): Droid X2
Want a physical keyboard: Droid 3

However, Verizon should have the Samsung Galaxy S2 soon which is another excellent option. The AMOLED screens on the Samsung S phones are great.

Also seconding the recommendation for Otterbox if you want a case. I don't use one on my Droid X because I live dangerous but Otterbox are by far the best cases out there.

Jim Doggett

+1 also turn the screen brightness down, no need to be all the way up!

(don't use auto brightness)

If you're having battery problems look up how to root your phone, then reset the battery stats on google....pretty easy process and produces results.

Great tips!!! Will do. BTW, this is what a Google search turned up:

"You need to be rooted :
1) drain your battery completed until the tab shuts down
2) charge your tab ( with the tab OFF ) completely
3) turn the tab ON (still with the charger connected ) and run Root Explorer
4) go to : /data/system/batterystats.bin and delete batterystats.bin
5) turn the tab OFF
6) disconnect from the charger
7) turn the tab ON
DONE !

If you do not have Root Explorer you can use the Terminal app of your choice :
1) drain your battery completed until the tab shuts down
2) charge your tab ( with the tab OFF ) completely
3) turn the tab ON (still with the charger connected ) and run the Terminal App
4) type the command : rm /data/system/batterystats.bin
5) turn the tab OFF
6) disconnect from the charger
7) turn the tab ON
DONE !"

Reference, and all credit due, here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=901290

qmr55

I'm a huge Android fan, here's an answer matrix for Verizon as I see it:

Have 4G: HTC Thunderbolt
No 4G (most people): Droid X2
Want a physical keyboard: Droid 3

However, Verizon should have the Samsung Galaxy S2 soon which is another excellent option. The AMOLED screens on the Samsung S phones are great.

Also seconding the recommendation for Otterbox if you want a case. I don't use one on my Droid X because I live dangerous but Otterbox are by far the best cases out there.

Galaxy S2 and Droid Bionic will be the first 4G LTE Smart Phones with dual core processors. I will probably get one of them next or the Nexus 4G from google...

This article is very helpful: Click Here

SqueeGee

Regarding touch screens versus keyboards, I really didn't think I would be able to get accustomed to using a touch screen to type but it has been a surprising non issue for me.

signswi

Swype is awesome if you don't have a physical keyboard.

BTW much of the "OMG MY BATTERY" stuff is from early versions of Android, 2.2 and later are quite good on battery, 2.3 especially. 2.4 is due out on a few phones before too long and is even better yet.

petesign

I am right there with you. I am on T-Mobile, running a jailbroken iphone 3g. It's seen better days. About a year ago, I thought I couldn't stand running on "edge" data speeds, and got a mytouch 3g. It was a POS. Now I see some of the newer android phones and think, those look pretty nice! I'd like faster data, but sure like the iphone, so I am torn. You can pick up a used 3gs for about 200 bucks these days..

Not to mention, AT&T is buying out T-mobile and if it passes the FCC review process or whatever, any phone you buy for t-mobile will eventually not work on the network once they change the bandwidth used on those towers.

d fleming

Iphone and an otterbox here. Thing has replaced the legal pad and digital camera in my truck. Map function is cool as well. Never thought when I upgraded I would like it so much.

qmr55

Another plus with Android, you get Google Maps w/the best GPS I have ever used!

Hands down never used a GPS better then the "Navigation" app that comes on Android phones. I put my Tom Tom GPS on the shelf when I got my Droid and haven't touched it since then.

adrock

I used to use iPhone, after 3 of them (in otterboxes) simply quitting on me and Apple basically telling me to pound sand, I've switched to Android. Ignoring the fact that the outright purchase price is cheaper, I like the openness of Android much better. Wouldn't even consider going back to iOS.

Baz

All my friends have Iphones so that is why i got the Android based phone. HTC Desire with Otter Box cover. Love my phone though i don't have many apps installed. I use it as a phone, little bit of text, love searching online with it and just touching the phone number on the screen and it automatically calls it up. Love the navigation app that came with it as well:thumb:

Joe Diaz

I'm really liking my Samsung Focus (windows phone 7) I use it mainly as a phone and a mp3 player, but lately have been taking a bunch of photos and videos with it. I really like how the social networking stuff is integrated into your contacts and other features. Like the commercials advertise, the OS is very user friendly. It's extremely easy for this first time smartphone user to get to what I need in a hurry. The new windows OS that is coming out is supposed to replicate the windows phone 7 UI.

thewvsignguy

Blackberry curve user for the last 3 years and LOVE it! Battery life is a no-brainier for us. My wife has the same phone BB curve (without all the apps, bells and whistles that are on my phone) and her phone used to last up to 4 days without a charge. We love the BB email feature but we are looking to upgrade to the BB torch in a few weeks. We will see what the torch has to offer and the battery "should" last a few days without a re-charge. I don't think I could stand a phone that went dead in 10-12 hours because I don't always remember to charge my phone.

I need a phone for a phone, it's not my lifeline but it's nice to have email on the phone too. The BB does everything I need it to do and then some. I have free Internet radio, wifi, facebook, camera, camcorder, weather channel, ebay, amazon, paypal and tons of games. I have dropped it off the porch (12ft) 2 or 3 times and it still works like a charm. Oh yea, I even gave it a diet Pepsi bath and it's still working.

Overall a great phone choice IMHO.

Tifosi

If you need a tough smart phone, check out the Casio G'Zone smartphone. I had the old Boulder and it was tough!!! The new smart phone is supposed to be just as tough. I dropped my Boulder from 30' in the air from the bucket truck and it only had a few scratches. Too bad the Casio smartphone wasn't out when I got my Droid X, which I love!!! I am just a little more careful with it when I am trying to take a picture or use an app while I am 30+ feet in the air.