• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

In The Shop This Week

signfab

Just introduced myself in the New Members section and thought I'd start a thread.

Completed these four signs this week, three of the same units went out two weeks ago and three more will be ready to roll out the door next week.

20140910_142306.jpg 20140910_142247.jpg
Laying on their side before loading.

The mid and lower panels are removed for transportation and installation.

The panel are fabricated from 5mm aluminium sheet, V-grooved and folded, funnily the designer originally specified 10mm mild steel plate for these panels.

signfab

OK,
here's some pics for those who wanted some shots of the signs installed.
Apologies for the grainy pics as they were taken with a phone by the installers.

IMG_1733.jpg
IMG_1735.jpg
IMG_1736.jpg
IMG_1734.jpg
IMG_1729.jpg
IMG_1730.jpg

signfab

Started on some ACM clad doorway features this week.
20140923_125429.jpg 20140923_125410.jpg 20140923_125445.jpg

We don't do a lot of ACM fabrication, maybe a hand full of shoe box lid panels a year and the odd pylon sign which calls for ACM faces which I usually V groove with a laminate trimmer.
So since I have half a dozen of these to build of varying shapes and sizes I decided to convert our makita power saw into a V grooving track saw.
20140923_170628.jpg 20140923_170703.jpg 20140923_170737.jpg

Should have done this years ago as it works better than I expected, ok it doesn't have the plunge feature like the festool ACM mill but it also didn't cost $5000.

signfab

Fabricated aluminium letters this week, Building Id's for a University.

20141008_114034.jpg

Dressed and sanded ready for powder coating.

20141008_122408.jpg

65 of them.

20141010_112409.jpg

And found another use for the track saw, V-grooving the returns for folding.

20141008_110939.jpg

signfab

I do like fabricated stainless steel but keeping mirror stainless scratch free while fabricating is a pain.

I knocked this out today.

20141031_100234.jpg 20141031_134913.jpg 20141031_134925.jpg

In hindsight I would have fabed the cross differently, the returns of the cross were done in quarters so there is a "vertical" seam in each straight section of the cross (see bottom of cross in last pic). Meaning that the two tight radii in each section were a long way apart making it difficult to get the length right, if I had of placed the seams in the straighter sections of the larger curves it would mean that the tight radii would be close together and joined by a straight section, much easier and quicker.

signfab

Can I come work for you? :Big Laugh

Thanks Pat, high praise indeed but I'm just a humble employee plus I don't think you'd like the commute.

As for advice in regards to fab letters? Patients, rushing and taking short-cuts makes letters look terrible, you want the return to match the contour perfectly.

signfab

Big stuff this week and probably for quite some weeks to come.

20141107_152854.jpg

20141107_144413.jpg

I have seven of these to build before Christmas.

It will be clad in 3mm aluminium with cut through text in the centre and RH sections.
The LH section is a window or picture frame that the customer wants to encourage people to sit or stand in hence the extra bracing on the floor.
I will take more pic as this first one continues to take shape.

signfab

The first unit is ready to go apart from the missing letter centre the powder coater lost.
Obviously I'm not going to get all seven done before Christmas.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20141209_183950.jpg
    20141209_183950.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 20141209_183937.jpg
    20141209_183937.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited by a moderator:

Craig Sjoquist

Enjoy seeing your posts on what ya building & glad to see such excellent craftsmanship.

Nice idea customer has having people interact with sign if they like, that is good marketing.
..Did same sorta thing here with Gatorland, painted a mural & a sign that letters were just outlined & said Gatorland on wall behind the area where ya could hold a snake or a gator & have ya picture taken, pictures would always seem to end up in all kinds of publications local to international

Kottwitz-Graphics

Enjoy seeing your posts on what ya building & glad to see such excellent craftsmanship.

Nice idea customer has having people interact with sign if they like, that is good marketing.
..Did same sorta thing here with Gatorland, painted a mural & a sign that letters were just outlined & said Gatorland on wall behind the area where ya could hold a snake or a gator & have ya picture taken, pictures would always seem to end up in all kinds of publications local to international

That's cool, Craig. I went there while on my honey moon. ..A cool place indeed.

signfab

Bly,
That whole building is not our shop just the two roller doors behind the sign, left is office and graphics room , right is the fab shop.

S'N'S,
We're in Melbourne, just have some work for Fed Uni at the moment.

FS-Keith

I do like fabricated stainless steel but keeping mirror stainless scratch free while fabricating is a pain.

I knocked this out today.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

In hindsight I would have fabed the cross differently, the returns of the cross were done in quarters so there is a "vertical" seam in each straight section of the cross (see bottom of cross in last pic). Meaning that the two tight radii in each section were a long way apart making it difficult to get the length right, if I had of placed the seams in the straighter sections of the larger curves it would mean that the tight radii would be close together and joined by a straight section, much easier and quicker.

how are you fastening the returns to the faces? what are you using to cut the faces of the stainless? thanks