Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In which order???????

Discussion in 'Vehicle Graphics' started by "Deposit Please", Jan 31, 2011.

1. "Deposit Please"

"Deposit Please" Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Illinois
    Have to letter up a semi (peterbilt). Customer provided MC, ICC and USDOT numbers. I'm not sure in which order is proper or does it matter ???? It will go on both sides of the tractor.
    MC #
    ICC #
    USDOT# ?????

Tags:
  2. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    I put the shortest/smallest on top, largest on bottom. Looks better that way.

3. "Deposit Please"

"Deposit Please" Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Illinois
    Thanks Malkin

4. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    I would put:

USDOT
    MC
    KYU or ICC

A trucking company is identify by the US DOT# when a truck is pulled at the weight station. The first thing a dot cop is looking for is the US DOT#, so i think the appropriate place is on the top.

5. Jane Diaz

Jane Diaz Member

Jul 25, 2003
    Pontiac, IL
    It really doesn't matter what order, that we have ever heard. We do tons of semis and we have never had an issue with what ever order. When there IS a question about the numbers, we tell the customer (nicely) that we are not responsible for knowing that info as we aren't truckers but they can probably contact their state DOT and they can help them. The one that we DO know is that most of the states require that the letters/numbers are 2" high (or readable for at least a certain distance that they specify).
    One other one that come up often is what ever their paper work says, they need to say the same thing on their truck. If their name says "Ed Smith Trucking" it can't read just "Smith Trucking" or "Ed Smith".

6. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Interesting. I do just the opposite because I like it better that way.

7. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    Another quick tip. When you get this customers offer them a set of vin numbers as well because they have to have them if driving thru Colorado. If they don't ticket is $600.

8. ionsigns

ionsigns Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Just and Idea

When in doubt when posed with your dilema I would go to the nearest truck stop for a few minutes with my small video camera.

Sit by the entrance and video trucks coming and going. Review the data and use the most common format.

Present to the customer format 1 (most common) and format 2 (second most common). Customer likes, or dislikes, make adjustments, customer signs off, finish work, get paid!

Put data in file to reference for next similar job - research pays off dividends. :rock-n-roll:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  9. ionsigns

ionsigns Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Great state idea - vin # on truck

:clapping:
    The VIN number typed in the police database can bring up a treasure trove of data to enforce the law, find stolen vehicles and more important - maybe find suspended drivers and dangerous criminals.