• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Inc. Ltd. Co.

In Canada / Ontario, what are the rules for using these marks as part of your logo? Are they required, or no? I hear differently from different people.

What about Registered or Trademarked?

What I get out of that, is if you have a TM, you have to use it frequently to maintain the TM rights.

However, that is for something that is TM. I don't know the process, but I don't think .INC, .LLC, etc. includes registering your name / logo as a TM. I take it they are financial protection for the owner(s).

shoresigns

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Inc, Ltd, LLC and so on are legal designations and should only be used on legal documents. Never in a logo. A professional designer wouldn't put it in a logo, so if you do, your logo will look like it wasn't designed by a professional, and you'll look like a tool.

TM is an optional notice to indicate that your logo is trademarked
® is a mandatory notice to indicate that your logo is a registered trademark in the US, when used in the US. Other countries may have similar rules if your trademark is registered in those countries.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I get into arguments all the time with these startups buying signs and insist on LLC being on the sign. It means nothing as far as the sign goes....they just think it's cool they got an LLC. Anyone can get one. As for design, adding that LLC usually throws the design out of whack. Kinda like long websites - I tend to drop the 'www' on certain ones and people freak out. "How will they know that's a website?" Really?
Also, when people want "CALL" or "PHONE:" in front of a phone number on a sign. Unless someone was just unearthed from a block of ice from 10,000 years ago, people get that that 10 digit number is a phone number.
Ok....done ranting.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't know what the rules are up in Canada, but ask them a simple question........

When you answer the phone, are you gonna say....... Good morning, ABC Company, LLC. How can I help you ?? Or just Good morning, ABC, may I help you ??

For the most part, it's not needed on anything, but legal documents and whatnot. Advertising on a truck door, billboard or channels, not at all. However, some want it on, since they feel if they paid for it, they want others to know it. Trademarks and Registered markings, they should already know that from corporate. That's generally not a guessing game.

TheSnowman

I get into arguments all the time with these startups buying signs and insist on LLC being on the sign. It means nothing as far as the sign goes....they just think it's cool they got an LLC. Anyone can get one. As for design, adding that LLC usually throws the design out of whack. Kinda like long websites - I tend to drop the 'www' on certain ones and people freak out. "How will they know that's a website?" Really?
Also, when people want "CALL" or "PHONE:" in front of a phone number on a sign. Unless someone was just unearthed from a block of ice from 10,000 years ago, people get that that 10 digit number is a phone number.
Ok....done ranting.

I get this a lot too. Hey, can you totally make my design off center and look like garbage because the INC or LLC needs to be as massive as the name of my business. Makes me nuts. Also, "what do you think...I should probably have my phone, email, website and fax on my side door, right?" Yeah...cause that'll do you a ton of good when you answer none of those devices, and they can't remember them driving down the road anyway.

gabagoo

This is how it works.... If the customer wants it on then it is on...if they want it off, then it is off... simple no brainer. A sign is not a legal document.