• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

inconsistant cutting pressure!

Rev Designs

I have a VP-300 and the cutting pressure isn't consistent through out the job. I'm cutting on pages that are 30" x approx 36" with various objects within them, but still under 10qty. Half of the cuts are perfect and then others are not cut enough. I've tried adjusting the pressure up with no success. I've also adjusted the blade depth and made sure the cutting strip is new. I also have a brand new blade as well. If anyone has any other suggestions i would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Matt

Custom_Grafx

Are you cutting through a mix of printed and unprinted sections? Printed vinyl cuts easier than unprinted vinyl, hence the inconsistency. Eg, 50gf might cut through printed vinyl, but not through unprinted vinyl.

Other things to check/consider - cutting strip, blade depth, blade casing (check for debris in the holder).

Rev Designs

Thanks for the info. I will check for debris in the blade casing

This is occurring on both the unprinted and printed sections and is at random. I also forgot to mention that this is laminated as well.

Rev Designs

Cutting strip was replaced last week in an attempt to solve the problem. It did not..

This is also something that i've been able to do for a couple of years and not have any problems until now..

Last edited:

drive

Hmmm.... no new vinyl brands? The vinyl does sit flush to the platen: No waviness in the vinyl?
I'm not a user of that brand, but is the blade spring loaded?

BobM

The blade holder can "dry out" if you can call it that. Half a drop of WD 40 worked around - in and out may free up the sticking blade shaft. Or just replace the blade holder.

Rev Designs

I tried lubing the blade holder and taking it apart and cleaning everything and it is still having the same issues? Guess its time for a new one? is there any way that the pressure sensor can go out or malfunction? I also have a vs-540 and was thinking about taking the blade holder out of it to try it and see if it makes a difference...

Rev Designs

so i tried the other blade holder and its still producing the same sporadic results... this is making for a long day!

Rev Designs

The machine is just shy of 3 years old. It still cuts regular vinyl out just fine. However when i try to do the thicker laminated stuff it all goes downhill and i end up having to trace the cut lines first. I've bumped the cut pressure up so much that through some parts its cutting through the liner, while others there is still not enough force to cut through the lam and the base.

Is there anyone familiar with what actually controls and monitors the pressure for the knife? maybe that is faulty?

Bigdawg

Just Me
The machine is just shy of 3 years old. It still cuts regular vinyl out just fine. However when i try to do the thicker laminated stuff it all goes downhill and i end up having to trace the cut lines first. I've bumped the cut pressure up so much that through some parts its cutting through the liner, while others there is still not enough force to cut through the lam and the base.

Is there anyone familiar with what actually controls and monitors the pressure for the knife? maybe that is faulty?

I am having the same problems on my 3 yo VP-540. All of a sudden the cutting is whacked out... running at 185g to even get a laminated cut to cut and the corners suck with that much force.

That's my day tomorrow... figuring out what the heck is going on...

showcase 66

I was having the same problems but just on regular vinyl. I dont have a rolland so it might be a little different. Changed the cutting strip. Cleaned out old holder and lubed it up. New holder. Then got a new blade. Since the new blade, have had no problems. Got them from CleanCut and it has made a world of difference.

Not sure if that helps or not.

Custom_Grafx

On the off chance, if you hold the rail/cutting head rail, is there any movement? Could be a loose rail? Would explain the irregular nature of it...

Rev Designs

Custom Graphx,

Thank you for the link I do have a sandblast blade and it has worked flawlessly for 2 years until now.

Bigdawg,

If you have any success please pass it along as i will do the same. Maybe the 3 year mark everything falls apart!

CSDD

Thank you for the info on the alternate blades