• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Increasing business

zedd2006

I would say my designs skills are decent, i would not call me myself the best designer in the world and sometimes criticize my work to much to point i hate it. Then customers love it, so i dont know how to guage my work. I personally would rate myself below average but i think that is an unfair judgement. So i would say about average with design skills.

Most of my good clients don't argue with price. My top paying clients are the guys getting vinyl for there trucks. But, you can only stick graphics on a truck once unless the person decided to redo it which is usually later than sooner.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would say my designs skills are decent, i would not call me myself the best designer in the world and sometimes criticize my work to much to point i hate it. Then customers love it, so i dont know how to guage my work. I personally would rate myself below average but i think that is an unfair judgement. So i would say about average with design skills.

Most of my good clients don't argue with price. My top paying clients are the guys getting vinyl for there trucks. But, you can only stick graphics on a truck once unless the person decided to redo it which is usually later than sooner.

As mixed up as you are about your skills, I'd venture to say, you get by. If you hafta seesaw back & forth about a key element, focus on those things you can be sure of...... craftsmanship and service. Design will come with time. The difference is, some pick up quickly and excell, while other just barely get by.

If customers don't argue price, you're either too low pricewise or just amazing. You hafta to be brutally honest on that one.

Once you run out of lawnmower people and such with one truck in their business, start looking around town for people who have 2 and 3 and graduate up to100's. No one here knows what's in your town, so you're the one who will be doing all the work, not us. There's no one fix all. Look at your local utilities company or electric provider, the cable company, the satellite company, heating & air conditioning, builders, real estate, airport, restaurants, flower shops, management companies, police departments, malls and many many more. Everyone needs signs, just stop thinking so small.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Personally I stay away from trucks.

I look for trucks. That is about the biggest money maker on earth. It was 40 years ago and still is, with newer tools and even some of the same customers as back then. What other job requires no substrate, no installation, comes to you clean and pays before leaving your premises ?? What other job can make you 15 to 20 times your investment....... and if it's a repeat customer or fleet, there is literally no thinking ininvolved ??

SignManiac

That depends on how good your design skills are; your manufacturing skills are; and your salesmanship skills are.

The best in the sign business can charge well over what the regular shops charge.

Within each industry there will be businesses who work on a low bid wins policy, and others that want the better product- so
they don't grind everyone down. Some have tried the low bid wins and found they got less than what they paid for.

You will have to bring an A game, and then start to identify the potential customers that are grinders, and ones who are good customers.

Right there is the answer to your question! I'm able to outsell my competitors daily and have done so for the past twenty three years. I watched many a small shop close doors trying to hammer away at me by under pricing their work. There will always be a demand for quality work, which there is a severe shortage of these days. Improve all of your skills and you will be able to sell the high dollar work. You get what you settle for in life. Sell stickers or sell premium work. Simple choice really.

zedd2006

Gino, I wouldn't call myself a designer. I would more or less call myself a fixer. For example, a customer came to me on saturday and asked me to make a decal of his image. I said ok, but i had to take it into photo-paint x7 and remove some pixelation, thicken up some lines, remove a few details, and then take it back into corel and image trace it. Those types of things is what i do best. I have, and still do, design but i wouldn't call myself a designer. I did a business card design for a cleaning business on sunday.

Also, you are right about the trucks. they are huge money makers. 4 out of 5 of the trucks i've did in the past 3 week ends the guys have said they have X amount trucks and will definitely be back to get them done. But i don't believe anybody until they do what they say. We'll see if they do. As for my pricing i charge $10 per sq ft for regular vinyl, and $15 for specialty like metallic, chrome, saftey etc. Is that overcharging or undercharging?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, I wouldn't call myself a designer. I would more or less call myself a fixer. For example, a customer came to me on saturday and asked me to make a decal of his image. I said ok, but i had to take it into photo-paint x7 and remove some pixelation, thicken up some lines, remove a few details, and then take it back into corel and image trace it. Those types of things is what i do best. I have, and still do, design but i wouldn't call myself a designer. I did a business card design for a cleaning business on sunday.

Also, you are right about the trucks. they are huge money makers. 4 out of 5 of the trucks i've did in the past 3 week ends the guys have said they have X amount trucks and will definitely be back to get them done. But i don't believe anybody until they do what they say. We'll see if they do. As for my pricing i charge $10 per sq ft for regular vinyl, and $15 for specialty like metallic, chrome, saftey etc. Is that overcharging or undercharging?

You're right. That's not designing or creating. That is just regular old layout. Years ago it was called paste-up artist. Today, people try to label that as being artistic, but when you have nothing contributed, it's really not designing.... anyway, not by true designers. Practice makes a good layout artist. Someone putting together newspaper ads, brochures and just taking all the elements and making it look a little more eye catching. No design, creative juices or much of anything needed for that..... just a sense of harmony. Much the same as an interior decorator, hair dresser, clothing salesperson, etc.

Your prices sound dangerously low to me. Type styles, intricacy of letters styles, logos and colors all will play a part in your kinda pricing. I'm not sure, if this category is shielded from the outside world, but getting into pricing should be discussed in an area, lurkers, guests and unwanted end-users eyes cannot see. Let's wait to see if this can be discussed in here or not.

mark555

Disclaimer : I am no way an expert in business development and have never done this as well. But one thing i woud say is instead of going around targeting several industries at once with limited resources identify one vertical be it trucks, restaurants, real estate and get specialize in their needs.

So overtime you wanna be the defacto supplier of one industry.

my 2 cents.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Disclaimer : I am no way an expert in business development and have never done this as well. But one thing i woud say is instead of going around targeting several industries at once with limited resources identify one vertical be it trucks, restaurants, real estate and get specialize in their needs.

So overtime you wanna be the defacto supplier of one industry.

my 2 cents.

In regards to those statements.......
Why ?? :banghead:

That's like saying to someone, eat all of your potatoes and when you're finished with them, eat your peas and when they're gone, eat your meat. Who eats like that ?? Why would you conduct business like that ?? It all practically overlaps each other. I see in your profile, you haven't much from which to pick, but that sounds like silly advise anyway. Is that cruel to tell you that ?? Maybe, but not as bad as telling someone of your views. Who determines when you are efficient enough to go to the next vegetable or meat ?? Design, layout, fabrication, production, salesmanship, service and follow through all pretty much are the same for most mediums. You might be using a truck for a canvas or a piece of Omega Board or wood. It's not like we're going from neon blowing to walldogging or welding.

mark555

I am happy to take criticism.

question is not whether he can create signs or not but how can he increase his business where instead of dealing with different ranks of people across several industry it is easier to create a targeted approach for one industry. Let me give you an example

say targeting retail shop owners e.g.

. He can get a list of them
. Create a good targetted presentation deck
. Since it is a small business he already knows he has to figure out to meet the owner in each case.
. Challenges normally faced with such businesses with signs.

i can go on and on..

don't hesitate to criticize i take pride in learning from learned.

In regards to those statements.......
Why ?? :banghead:

That's like saying to someone, eat all of your potatoes and when you're finished with them, eat your peas and when they're gone, eat your meat. Who eats like that ?? Why would you conduct business like that ?? It all practically overlaps each other. I see in your profile, you haven't much from which to pick, but that sounds like silly advise anyway. Is that cruel to tell you that ?? Maybe, but not as bad as telling someone of your views. Who determines when you are efficient enough to go to the next vegetable or meat ?? Design, layout, fabrication, production, salesmanship, service and follow through all pretty much are the same for most mediums. You might be using a truck for a canvas or a piece of Omega Board or wood. It's not like we're going from neon blowing to walldogging or welding.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I am happy to take criticism.

And I'm happy to hand it out, so long as I know it to be true and perhaps tried

question is not whether he can create signs or not but how can he increase his business where instead of dealing with different ranks of people across several industry it is easier to create a targeted approach for one industry. Let me give you an example

You're skipping over what he asked about......

say targeting retail shop owners e.g.

. He can get a list of them
. Create a good targetted presentation deck
. Since it is a small business he already knows he has to figure out to meet the owner in each case.
. Challenges normally faced with such businesses with signs.

i can go on and on..

If you attack/approach one block on a busy street and it has two restaurants, a dry cleaner, a tattoo parlor, hair dresser, heat/AC guy, electrician, insurance firm, pawn shop, a hot dog house, body shop supply store, flower shop and a dozen other places...... you want him to approach the easiest one first and build up his confidence before trying another ?? What if he guesses wrong and they ask him about a truck ?? Oops, I don't do trucks this week. Come back in 4 months when I learn that part of the trade ??

don't hesitate to criticize i take pride in learning from learned.

You may take a while, but at least you're willing.

Seriously, unless you are attempting to do electric signs or LED's, I can see leaving them alone, but you don't back away from them. If someone throws you a curve for something which you don't know about or haven't a clue..... it's not like when I was coming up with no internet or helping shops around town. I told the people, sure, give me two weeks and I'll get back to you on it. Make damned well you get back in the two weeks and have done your homework.

You might be targeting all bakeries for all I know, or retail anything, but one is bound to have a delivery truck or a menu board or a sign out by the outskirts of town. Another will have an 'A' frame sign or another one might want T-shirts for the local baseball team they sponsor. How will you ever obtain the knowledge trying to isolate your learning to how to call someone or deal with them on a sign need if they want something entirely out of your league ?? You need to be in control or take control quickly and steer the discussion in your favor. Be honest, fair and get back to them and never shoot from the hip.

zedd2006

Actually i like eating that way. I don't like my food touching. :p in all seriousness though, I see both your points. As i do agree with both, i am limited in resources. For me, it's more building customer relationships so i know i have returning customers. It doesn't benefit me to do a "Now Open" banner and then the they ask for store signage that i cant do because of the lack of a printer. They take there business else where. Yeah it's a quick buck but it hurts me in the long run.

toucan_graphics

they ask for store signage that i cant do because of the lack of a printer. They take there business else where.

I don't have a printer either and I NEVER turn away a customer solely because I don't have a printer. There are WAY TOO MANY partners out there who are ready, willing and able to wholesale the print jobs. Signs365, Signs2Trade, FireSprint and dozens of others. These are 3 or MANY merchant members here on Signs101 who I have used and continue to use - and the cost is low enough that you can still make a decent profit. Check out the merchant members area and start making some calls to set up an account.

As for increasing business, figure out what brings you the most profit and start going after that business. Make phone calls, stop into local businesses. Social media like Facebook is great for making connections but NEVER underestimate the impact of face to face contact.

I was home-based for most of the last 10 years and rarely had a customer come to my home. I always met them at their location and it worked fine. This means that if you can be at your booth during the week when no customers are there you can get all your production work done and just meet the customer at their location for delivery or install.