Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

InDesign CS3

Discussion in 'General Software' started by blackicefx, Nov 3, 2009.

1. blackicefx

blackicefx Active Member

Jan 11, 2007
    I've received InDesign files from a customer for some business cards and flyers. I didn't have two of the fonts that were in the files so I sourced them and charged the customer accordingly. Now, my question is, when I send the files to my outsourced printer, how do I embed the fonts or convert them so they don't need to find them like I did? I know in Illy you'd simply convert to outlines, but since I'm not all that well versed in InDesign, I am lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew
    BlackIceFX

Tags:
  2. Adam Bennett

Adam Bennett Member

May 10, 2007
    ctrl+shift+o

Create outlines for all of your text.

3. blackicefx

blackicefx Active Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Wow, I'm an idiot. Thanks for the painfully obvious instructions :doh:

Matthew
    BlackIceFX

4. Biker Scout

Biker Scout Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Careful you don't have stroke or stoke effect around the things you are outlining.... you won't like the end results.

The correct way if sending to a printer is create a .pdf and it embeds the fonts for you.

However if you want to send an InDesign file and include the links, fonts etc... you can go to FILE: PACKAGE

This creates a folder that includes all the things the document needs to be sent off and opened properly. This also brings up a dialog screen that allows you to provide creator info as well as instructions to whomever receives the file.

5. blackicefx

blackicefx Active Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Well, I'm not able to export as the font Andalus gives me an error when I export as PDF. It says 'font Andalus could not be embedded due to restrictions in the font file. The font must be installed to view or print this file properly with Adobe Acrobat'.

Now I'm confused as Andalus is an owned font on my machines.
    Any suggestions?

Matthew
    BlackIceFX

6. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Go back and convert that font to paths as originally discussed. Some font companies do not allow for embedding their fonts in pdfs.

7. Biker Scout

Biker Scout Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Ironically, every time I get that message, I just export as usual, and ignore the message... the font is there in the .pdf anyway.

However, I'm am still opening it locally to convert the file to a flattened .tif before printing. So I don't know if that makes a difference or not.