Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inexpensive printer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Printers' started by ChiknNutz, Sep 29, 2004.

1. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    Is there a decent digital printer for somewhere around $5k that is not a POS? I know there are the Roland PC-12 / 60 / 600 are these about all there is in that kind of a price range? Looking at mostly using it to supplement cut vinyl and for the smaller stuff that doesn't make sense to layer. I know they are expensive to run, but are they okay for the small runs of stuff? Yes, I'd like a VersaCAMM, but can't yet justify the nearly $20k to get set up with it and a laminator. What about an older Edge? What are things to look for in a used printer? Any advice is much appreciated.

Tags:
  2. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    Sub it out.....

save $$$$$.......... :cool1:

3. Barry

Barry Active Member

May 6, 2004
    Save your money and get a better setup... The Eco/Solvent printers will take you so much farther..

4. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Sub it out .... put your profits in a piggy bank ..... when full, buy the Versacamm or whatever looks like the best choice at the time.

Getting a used Edge will require you to also acquire and learn to use software to run it; a plotter that the software can output to; and an expensive inventory of printing foils.

I have an Edge and wouldn't give it up for anything, but it was expensive to get into and a bear to learn. Unless you're tapping into established customers asking for labels and decals, it could be an expensive transition. And it's a technology that is near the end of it's cycle .... not a good time to buy in.

5. PureSportsDesigns

PureSportsDesigns Member

Jul 16, 2004
    I have a VersaCamm and don't see how we made it 13 years without it. My payment is $305 a month. If you buy one now and can't make a $300 payment with the extra profit your not doing something right. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Just because you have a hammer, it does not mean you can build a house. If you have the ability to use this tool to it's full potential, if I were you I would be on the phone trying to see who had one crated up and ready to ship.

6. SignRover

SignRover Member

Aug 24, 2004
    If you don't sub it out... Go buy a chunk of 3 year old technology and see how much it costs to feed. It may look like a great way to get your foot in the door, but the expense of keeping it running will make your head spin. Be prepared to spend a couple thousand dollars inking up and mastering the learning curve of an old machine with no tech support. The newer machines, particularly the eco-solvents are tremendously cheaper to run, and subsequently generate a much higher return on your investment.