• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Info on decal printers wanted

faile486

I'm trying to find an inexpensive way to make small vinyl stickers/decals. Currently, I outsource production, and while I've been happy with the cost per item and am able to turn a decent profit, the upfront cost for each design is higher than I'd like and the turnaround time is pretty bad.

The big issue seems to be getting something that is both UV resistant AND weather-resistant. I love the weatherproof matte paper from OnlineLabels.com and the unlaminated paper performs very well in water, but laminating them causes the ink to start running when they're exposed to water.

I've got a cheap laser printer and I'm waiting on some poly vinyl from OnlineLabels, but given my luck with this so far, I'm not really holding out hope that it'll work.

Any ideas on what to try next if the laser printer and poly vinyl doesn't work?

Thinline343

I'm trying to find an inexpensive way to make small vinyl stickers/decals. Currently, I outsource production, and while I've been happy with the cost per item and am able to turn a decent profit, the upfront cost for each design is higher than I'd like and the turnaround time is pretty bad.

The big issue seems to be getting something that is both UV resistant AND weather-resistant. I love the weatherproof matte paper from OnlineLabels.com and the unlaminated paper performs very well in water, but laminating them causes the ink to start running when they're exposed to water.

I've got a cheap laser printer and I'm waiting on some poly vinyl from OnlineLabels, but given my luck with this so far, I'm not really holding out hope that it'll work.

Any ideas on what to try next if the laser printer and poly vinyl doesn't work?

looks like finding another out source might be your only option. Also depends on how much you are printing to see if it’s even worth it as well.

Do they drop ship? Maybe that cuts the cost for you a bit.

Jburns

Labels for indoor products or outdoor use? With UV concerns - for Professional Results —-you need an eco-solvent, latex or thermal printer- about 15-20k new - then laminator / vinyl cutter that can do kiss cut / full contour cut etc

faile486

looks like finding another out source might be your only option. Also depends on how much you are printing to see if it’s even worth it as well.

Do they drop ship? Maybe that cuts the cost for you a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion! No, they don't do drop shipping. I've used drop shipping for t-shirts before, but found the lack of control incredibly stressful. I stopped selling t-shirts because of the stress.

Labels for indoor products or outdoor use? With UV concerns - for Professional Results —-you need an eco-solvent, latex or thermal printer- about 15-20k new - then laminator / vinyl cutter that can do kiss cut / full contour cut etc

My current printer rates their products for 3 - 5 years outdoors, and they're dishwasher safe. I want to print bumper stickers and decals that can go through a dishwasher on a hydro flask or something similar.

I've already got a die-cutting machine and laminator. I don't mind cutting sheets down to size manually to keep using them. The printer is the big issue. I don't really sell enough to justify spending more than 3k on a printer. I was looking at the VersaStudio BN-20, but was hoping there was a cheaper option out there.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
BN-20 is as low as you can go in this industry. It's also excruciatingly slow in comparison to the bigger machines.

Speed is rated at 1.75sq.m/hr (~19sq.ft/hr) at draft quality. Expect that to at least halve for any decent quality printing.

Last edited: