• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Info on past Avery failures

cdiesel

I'm looking for some info.. Does anyone have any links to articles or anything documenting the past failures? Wasn't there a site like averysucks . com or something?

signage

Chris if I remember correctly some of the ones having major failures posted picture on here at the time. Not sure how to search it but I think some are on this very site.

cajun312

I had posted a bunch on the letterhead forum, I don't know if that's still around.
When I had posted them, an Avery dealer went on that forum and said all the shrinkage was an installation problem. :banghead:

They have never gotten another penny of my money.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I had posted a bunch on the letterhead forum, I don't know if that's still around.
When I had posted them, an Avery dealer went on that forum and said all the shrinkage was an installation problem. :banghead:

They have never gotten another penny of my money.

Yeah, they told me 'APPLICATION FAILURE'. We were capable of wrapping all the other vehicles, but anything with their vinyl involved, either discolored or fell off. Didn't take us long to drop them, either.

Border

Funny, they paid me quite a bit and then some, after BEGGING me to take down my web page. They even paid me to install another manufacturer's vinyl instead of using more Avery vinyl.

Gotta love the internets!

Jillbeans

My pix were on the site.
I got screwed up the butt without lube by Good Old Avery.
It's sooo much fun to peel off two layers of vynull on a big old van.
And that lawyer's window, glad I caught it before they did.
The SignGold was fine but that layer-o-Avery underneath it wasn't.
I think I was compensated $14.
Love....Jill

cajun312

Funny, they paid me quite a bit and then some, after BEGGING me to take down my web page. They even paid me to install another manufacturer's vinyl instead of using more Avery vinyl.

Gotta love the internets!

You are lucky. My vendor at the time was Denver Sign Supply and they flat out did nothing to help me. Three times I sent them samples from the bad rolls and they never even sent them to Avery.
After about a year I finally got a credit.....for more Avery vinyl. Denver refused to let me use the credit for other products. Fellers actually got involved and had the credit transferred to them and let me buy whatever I wanted with it.

jayhawksigns

Had a new salesman for one of our suppliers come in and try to talk to us about Avery, mentioned to him two or three items from Avery that I will buy because I haven't found another item that will work and past that, don't mention them again to me.

He tried to push it and I told him that if Avery would pay for all of our failed installations due to their bad vinyl, then I still wouldn't use them. He didn't say anything else.

brush1

I had a lot help from Fellers to recive some money. Got a little money (around $20/h) for labor and vinyl replacement (never use it). They didn't honor customer invoices. They have they way to price labor. Since I don't care how good they product is. I will never try it again.

cajun312

I found a picture from one job. This was on a 28' box on a delivery truck. This was two months after installation.
I got lucky on having to replace this job, the company went broke not long after this photo was taken.

Notice not only the shrinkage but the texture of the vinyl.

Attachments

• averyshrinkage.jpg
    averyshrinkage.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 79

Msrae

Rae
LOL Chris.... I am the person who hosted that site! Just sent ya an email.

I am assuming that site is no longer up. I too was interested in what happened with the big Avery issue since I came on here after it was over.

geb

Ya, I had trouble with the reflectiveA7 white and yellow starting to turn black, and the cast vinyl would shrink noticably. When 7 year engineer grade reflective vinyl starts to turn black spots and patches in less than two years, that is a problem. There are alot of pics and posts if you do a search here. I have not used Avery since, never again.

Funny, I lettered a sign with the A7, in no time did the rflective part of the vinyl fall off, but the adhesive remained on the board so you can still see the wording to this day, that was probably 8, 10 years ago.

George

Typestries

I found a picture from one job. This was on a 28' box on a delivery truck. This was two months after installation.
I got lucky on having to replace this job, the company went broke not long after this photo was taken.

Notice not only the shrinkage but the texture of the vinyl.

Yup, that's Exactly what happened to us, and the reflective issue mentioned as well on just under $200k of invoiced work. Ouch.

No avery my shop rate is not $10/hr, nor $15 nor $20
No Avery I DO NOT want to replace these jobs with your material
NO Avery I don't believe your BS that it's our fault
Yes Avery I lost clients over this and a lot of good ones too.

Yes Avery I believe this was the result of a calculated systemic change to your manufacturing process, not an isolated mistake as you claim

Yes Avery, I will NEVER use your vinyl again. I repeat No avery for us EVER again.

cdiesel

Yes Avery I believe this was the result of a calculated systemic change to your manufacturing process, not an isolated mistake as you claim

Yes Avery, I will NEVER use your vinyl again. I repeat No avery for us EVER again.

It's funny how "systematic, calculated changes" can effect how customers choose to do their business. Not just vinyl failures, but other "changes" that are made in the way large companies do business.. Hmm..