• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Info On This Vintage Marquee

Branded Signs

Hey everyone...Went by a general store while on vacation this week, and they had the lighted marquee available for sale. It was $300 (as you can see) and looked to be about 40 years old and in EXCELLENT shape. All of the bulbs were good, lit up in all colors and would light up in reverse going around the sign.

It has a UL sticker on the back, of course, but nothing else in regards to who may have made it. Basically, I think it would be a cool conversation piece for my shop but wasn't sure if $300 was a good buy or not. It comes with a box full of pronto letters as well. Just wanted to see what the board thought in terms of $$$.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo (7).jpg
    photo (7).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 96

Billct2

Why do you think it's 40 years old?
Even if it was I wouldn't pay $300.
Maybe if it was 80 years old.

Branded Signs

Why do you think it's 40 years old?
Even if it was I wouldn't pay $300.
Maybe if it was 80 years old.

Just looks to be very similar to signs from the early 70's. I just don't have ANY experience with older signs like this, so didn't really want to fork over the $300 if I could get something similar elsewhere for a bit less.

Marlene

$300 sounds way to much as it doesn't look to be that big. where did this guy get it? did he say it was 40 years old or is that a guess? does it work? bulbs like that usually are chaser lights.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you like it and want it..... by all means, you should buy it.

I highly doubt you'll find another one like that very soon. :rolleyes:

The price tag doesn't matter if you really like something.

A conversazione piece ?? Well, not for very long. After you tell someone it isn't for sale and you don't know how to make one like it, most conversation will turn quickly... or so they should.

I would hang in my basement with 'Movie of the Week' and charge admissions to my basement to watch King Kong or some other old movie in Black & White.

Last edited:

Craig Sjoquist

I'm with Gino on this.
Main thing is do you like it & have a use..

Since it has a full box of letters which are worth that much retail anyway.

Next I remember these indeed 40 years is a good guess maybe less but not much.

You can also check the ..Sign Museum or Google for Ebay prices etc. there are other organisations that deal with older signage.

One thing about classic anything about.. The unwanted, unusual, exotic have the better value, because they end up with few left over.

After research, you can haggle try $200 to $250

round man

those old signs were called suitcase signs,....the salesmen would go from business to business with samples that fit into large suitcases,..the buyer then had the option to order his copy often as not with vacuformed raised letters and or changable copy as shown in the example.....storefronts would buy them for window displays and often as not stack them on free standing pole mounts on the curb,..the model you show would have been a premium model due to the border lights,..they might even have had a chaser wired or flasher for added feature if allowed by local codes. like Gino said if you like it and can deal with the cost go for it,....

edited to add,...I like the way they used an upside down exclamation point instead of an "" I "" in the word "FIRM"

trik

Like all collectables, they are really only worth what someone is willing to pay. So if you like and are willing to pay, go for it. If you are buying in hopes of selling it later and not sure about the price walk away. I used to collect baseball cards like crazy, but as more companies came out with all these different brands and low end and high end cards, I just started collecting what I liked, so I would have the appreciation of them later in life. I have over 500,000 cards, probably worth $20-$30K, but would be lucky to get $5k for them today. But I am cool with that, as I truly enjoy what I have. So bottom line is if you like it, buy it. Good luck!

Branded Signs

Thanks for all of the info guys! I'm a huge sports card collector myself, so definitely understand the "only worth what someone is willing to pay" kind of thing.

Again, appreciate the comments!