• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Initial Client Conversation...

jchristians

When first meeting up with a client, and they are wanting signage for their new store, do you start with "What is your Budget" question? Or how do you go about figuring out what they are wanting & able to spend? Ask if they have any ideas or have seen a sample of type of signage in the area?
Thanks for any feedback!

TXFB.INS

take a portfolio showcasing your options and capabilities, this is when you go over the different prices and see what fits their budget.
It is always more important to establish a budget before designs are discussed.

find out where their store is and have the muni-codes for that area to go over any restrictions / limits that the city may have.

through the conversation you will find out what they are looking for. more important you find out what expectation of value is for signs

Kottwitz-Graphics

"What is your budget? " is a very valid question. Coupled with finding out what in the area they have seen that they like will let you know what they are looking for.

Of course your occasionally going to get someone who has a ridiculously low budget and want an expensive sign....

In all, I have only had one customer that didn't want me to know their budget, because they thought I would over charge for the sign. I just simply told them that a simple flat sign could start at several hundred and go up from there, depending on if we started adding illumination or dimensional, or gold. I never got a straight answer, and I don't know if they ever got a sign...

DesireeM

Every customer is different so I wouldn't say there's a proper formula to follow every time. Some have a better idea of what they want and can afford...some have very little knowledge of the value of anything sign related so they need a bit more guidance.

I'd say play it by ear and don't worry too much about which questions you ask first. Just make sure you ask all the questions necessary to give them a price and options that make sense for them.

jchristians

REALLY appreciate all the input so far! I am in the process of starting a sign business and you guys are just great. :) :corndog:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, I first introduce myself, my company, hand them a card and ask them how I can help them ?? Money is never talked about up front, or you sound like that's your only goal.

Ask them what they need, what are they envisioning, what codes are in their area, ask them if they have permission from the landlord to do this. Do they want electric signs, metal, wood, multiples, interior, exterior and find out what you can. Usually your initial visit is a seeking mission. If they only want one sign and it's simple, you should be able to tell them approximately what it's going to cost, but don't shoot from the hip. Tell them you'll get back to them. If they want a whole slew of signs, as leaving ask them if they have a budget in mind. If they answer, good for you. If they don't figure out what you need to get and be profitable and be done with it.

Asking a budget, is usually not going to get you anything, but a dishonest answer from most people. They'll either go lower than their last bid or just make something up. You have to get what you have to get in order to keep YOUR doors open, not based on what they have to spend.

I was just at a clients building yesterday to survey a new twin building with lotsa directories, and some outdoor signs and a pylon. Needs some major renovations. While talking to this lady, one of her tenants came over to me and asked if I could do this or that ?? Sure, we can do that. Can you do this over here ?? Yes, we can. And can you make 25 of these for my company ?? Yes. How much ?? Well, in order to give you an honest quote, I must figure out everything I need, how much to then make them and install them, along with permits and underground dig 800 calls. I can tell you for the door you want lettered, it will be $85. Oh boy, when can you start ?? Never asked a budget, but I did say, if this quote does not fare well with what you were already quoted, we can certainly discuss things. Got an e-mail today, that she'll be sending over a deposit and wants to meet with me on other projects.

Eric H

Usually talk to them see what they like, what they want and go from there. If I get one one of those customers that has no idea what they like, want or need I'll ask to help narrow it down.

player

I would not ask them what their budget is. You are in the business, not them. They shouldn't be setting the price.

CanuckSigns

I would not ask them what their budget is. You are in the business, not them. They shouldn't be setting the price.

I always ask budget, it's not to let them set the price, it's so I'm not wasting my time quoting a $4000 sandblasted dimensional sign when they only have $1500 to spend. Don't forget we work in a very niche industry, most people don't buy signs on a regular basis and have no idea what they are worth, some people may look at a large electrical sign pylon and not realize it's worth almost as much as their house.

If someone comes in looking for a sign, I generally try to get as much info from them as possible, after I get that I ask if they have a budget, if they do great, if not I show them examples of past work i've done with rough prices, most of the time I am able to get an idea of how much they want to spend out of them, and i can quote a product that fits within their budget.

Example:

Me:"For about $1500 we can do a sign similar to this one here"
Client:" "Oh god I don't need any think that fancy/expensive"
Me: "Ok, well for $800 I can do something like this"

untill you find the sweet spot.

Chriswagner92

I never really ask for their budget. It usually goes " Hey how's it going, what can I help you with" then they usually say something along the lines of " I was lookin to get some stickers made up of this picture I got"
but really I just ask what they want, how do they want it and then give them different materials or whatever so they can get an idea of what it is i am talking about. If they still have no clue I go to our photo book and tell them to pick one out and i give them a price based on that. By this point if they are not happy with the price they either tell me their budget without me asking, or walk out. If they tell me the budget but we can't do what we want for what they have then we make the compromise and do cheaper materials, simpler sign.

player

I always ask budget, it's not to let them set the price, it's so I'm not wasting my time quoting a $4000 sandblasted dimensional sign when they only have $1500 to spend. Don't forget we work in a very niche industry, most people don't buy signs on a regular basis and have no idea what they are worth, some people may look at a large electrical sign pylon and not realize it's worth almost as much as their house.

If someone comes in looking for a sign, I generally try to get as much info from them as possible, after I get that I ask if they have a budget, if they do great, if not I show them examples of past work i've done with rough prices, most of the time I am able to get an idea of how much they want to spend out of them, and i can quote a product that fits within their budget.

Example:

Me:"For about $1500 we can do a sign similar to this one here"
Client:" "Oh god I don't need any think that fancy/expensive"
Me: "Ok, well for $800 I can do something like this"

untill you find the sweet spot.

Exactly like you do it... you are fishing out their budget, but not asking them at the start "What do you want to pay for your new sign?"

CanuckSigns

Exactly like you do it... you are fishing out their budget, but not asking them at the start "What do you want to pay for your new sign?"

No if the client mentions price at all during the fist few minutes of the conversation, or even worse, if it's the first thing out of their mouth, i know we are not a good fit to work together.

I had someone come in once act literally point to every sample sign i had in the show room and ask "how much for that one?" I explained that I am not walmart, nothing in my shop has a price on it as every thing is custom made etc. it went right over her head. Finally I told her I could sell her one of the sample signs for $300, but i don't know what she wanted a sign with some made up name on it, you could actually see the little gears in her head turning as she tried to figure that one out...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Granted, some of these people haven't a clue as to what they're gonna spend, but then some do.

If someone calls you to come to their place of business and in your first or few sentences you ask..... what's your budget for this project, it sounds phony..... anyway, to me it does.

You aren't interested in giving them what they want and giving them a price, but more finding something that'll fit their budget and trying not to lose a sale at all costs.... to them. On the other hand, there are a lot of people who will just blurt out anything, but keeping in mind what they want to spend and not what might be needed to spend to get what they want. Then you have the people who have been shopping around like crazy and just looking for the lowest price. Do you really think their budget number is gonna be accurate ?? Highly unlikely.

Now, you guys have been talking about small signs. Anyone looking to spend $400..... $800...... or $1,500...... on a sign or two, are not spending much at all. You can't take the time to find out all the pertinent details on something like that. Therefore, you must find out what they want up front and decide right then and there, how much back & forth you're going to invest in a $1,500 sale. That's where the salesmanship comes in. You must be able to do the math in your head in a hurry and know you will or won't waste time and also make a quick observation if this person is kicking tires or serious. If you explain to them you are going to give them a 3 tier pricing structure, then just do it and don't worry about their budget. Budgets come into effect when you're into 1,000's..... not 100's.

rjssigns

Ask ten business owners you'll get ten different replies.
It all depends on where you do business and what type of clientele make up the bulk of your income.
Demographics, Psychographics, Ethnicity, etc... all play a role.
You build a tailored response based on what works for you and your clients.

Last client said I was more expensive by a few bucks. He said it's worth it because I don't BS him and deliver quality products on time.

This last bit is important. Sometimes reputation alone will get you the work.