• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Injured worker, Amazing timing..

Sven

After almost five years of no serious injuries in my shop, my employee just cut his finger bad with a utility knife cutting a piece of PVC using a standard 4' straight edge. The knife slipped over the edge. An hour later, The Big Blue safety ruler that I ordered two days ago arrived. Amazing..

jayhawksigns

At least you were proactive rather then waiting for the injury to happen like we did.

Thinking about it right now makes my finger hurt, but I did basically the same thing.

Billct2

I always say the razirs are the most dangerous tool in the shop because they cause the highest rate of (mostly minor) injuries. Rather slip with an Xacto than a circular saw. When I worked with a chainsaw for a living someone told me "It's the tools you use the most that are the most dangerous" then showed me where he got a couple hundred stiches in his leg.
I slipped with an xacto once while talking to a buddy and tried to pull it out of my belly very casually...then the blood started pouring...

phototec

FYI: I have used many aluminum straight edges similar to the Blue version mentioned above, and from time to time the sharp cutting edge of the knife will cut into the aluminum edge, and after a while the cutting edge has several nicks in it. I had one with a nick so deep, every-time I tried to make a straight cut, the cutting blade would get caught in the nick and ride up on top of the edge.

So, I searched for a better alternative and found the BEST safety ruler on the planet, it's the Pro Steel Safety Ruler, instead of the cutting edge being soft aluminum, it has a stainless steel insert along the cutting edge and also has a wider base than the blue safety ruler, it costs a little more, but is well worth the difference.

I just wish someone would have guided me towards the difference, I would have purchase the Pro Steel Safety Ruler in the first place and NOT wasted money on one with an aluminum cutting edge.

Hope this helps someone make an informed decision.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/52-Pro-Stee...547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460d9a3c73

:thumb:

Attachments

• Pro Steel Safety Ruler copy.jpg
    Pro Steel Safety Ruler copy.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Pro Steel Safety Ruler 2.jpg
    Pro Steel Safety Ruler 2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 67

Sven

@phototec, the Pro Steel looks good. Does it have a rubber grip pad on the bottom? Also, any thoughts about the Sooper Edge Purple Ruler? It also has a stainless steel insert. It's in the Fellers book on page 96.

MikePro

I've been the the E.R. three times in my 15years at the shop, all result from cutting blades and straight-edges. Damn things sure know how to jump when you're in a rush!
...and that's not counting all of the close calls along the way that were fixable with a band-aid. (more like papertowel and scrap vinyl!)
...never once, have I come close to cutting myself using the purple one.

OldPaint

i grew up on a dairy farm. worked as a labor on large construction jobs, topped trees in saw mill operation, cut tons of wood for heat. worked at auto and heavy equipment repair......................

the one thing in all of the above work.........I REMAINED AWARE OF MY SURROUNDING and the possibility of getting injured or killed. this is not hard to do when you are exposed to the dangers constantly. the problem IN A SIGN SHOP, is the danger is not as apparent so you tend to let your awareness level of possible injuries decline. how much damage can little exacto knife do? compared to a jackhammer or a 36" chain saw or a 54" sawmill blade????

phototec

@phototec, the Pro Steel looks good. Does it have a rubber grip pad on the bottom? Also, any thoughts about the Sooper Edge Purple Ruler? It also has a stainless steel insert. It's in the Fellers book on page 96.

Yes, the Pro Steel Ruler does have a new non-slip backing that is thinner with a more powerful grip. See the specifications below.

Steel is the perfect edge for razor straight trimming, your blade slips along the steel with dead on accuracy. The stainless steel edge is low and flat, so your blade won't wobble. We took the best elements of the Safety Ruler and added a wider hold down base and a new non-slip backing that is thinner with a more powerful grip. The tool steel is .069" thick by 1.25" wide, It is joined to the base and protrudes from the side of the ruler. Trim fast. Trim straight. World's best cutter.

Can't say anything about the Purple Ruler, never had that one, but as long as it has a STEEL cutting edge, that is what will make it last 100 times longer than the Blue ruler with ONLY an aluminum, cutting edge.

Think about it, your cutting blade is way harder than any aluminum, so if you accidentally turn the blade just a little towards the aluminum cutting edge, your blade will cut into the aluminum (happened to me allot before getting the Pro Steel safety Ruler).

You know the old saying, "you get what you pay for", when I got out of the Army, bought my first set of sockets at K-mart (cheap), the first time I used one of the larger sockets to remove a lug nut on my car, the socket literally split in half, so my next set of sockets was Craftsman from Sears, that was 40 years ago, and I still have all the sockets and have only broken one when I tried to use it with an impact pneumatic driver, and because the Craftsman has a lifetime warranty, they gave me a new replacement socket.

The moral of the story is to buy good tools up front and they last much longer than the cheap ones, and I'm glad the OP brought this info up to all of us, because a Safety Ruler (I have the 100" Pro Steel), at $150 is way better then a $300-$500 visit to the ER and the down time while your finger is healing.

I would hope those who DO NOT have a Safety Ruler in there shop will take this seriously and be pro active and get one!

:thumb: