• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ink beading off

Stickerjill

I am very very new to digital printing. In fact, I guess I have not actually printed anything yet.
I bought a Epson Stylus Pro 9500 off a friend and moved it across the country. I did not know to "lock" the ink cartridges in place, or whatever its called. I see that now. So, all the ink jiggled thru for 1300 miles, and up the stairs...

I bought new ink cartridges, and tried printing. I have several kinds of vinyl, but I am not sure exactly what kind, put they are supposed to be the printable kind.
They dont seem glossy or anything, but when I print on them, the ink just beads off.
I tried letting it dry, but even the next day, I can rub the ink right off. I even tried printing on the back of the vinyl (the paper backing) and that rubs off. The only thing it hasnt rubbed off of is regular paper.

Is there a different type of ink that is used to print on vinyl? or do I need some special additive for the ink, or what? I am so confused.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Custom_Grafx

im guessing you got the wrong vinyl. ur running pigment inks, where as most of us here run eco sol or solvent inks...

Stickerjill

when I ordered the ink cartridges, it didnt say what type of ink. Which would be better, eco solvent, or solvent? I just want to make band stickers and posters.

Bill Modzel

Your Epson is a very good aqueous ink printer. You cannot load any vinyl into it and expect the ink to work. You cannot put eco or solvent into it without major modification, if at all.

There is probably coated vinyl that is available for this unit but would just be for temporary outdoor use. Your best bet would be to find a good Epson supplier in the sign trade and check them out. Lexjet would be a good one I'd guess.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Correct - you have a water based ink and there is no conversion or option on that machine to put any type of solvent based ink in it. Your only option for media to print on will be media specifically for aqueous ink based machines. While that machine can produce beautiful prints they will never have any sort of long term outdoor durability. As Bill mentioned - Lexjet is an excellent source for media for that printer. Just go to Lexjet.com, select Inkjet Printable Media, then on the left select aqueous on the ink type. NO other media will work other than media designed for aqueous inks.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
I suggest you get in touch with member BigFishDM, he's got all kinds of media (including adhesive vinyl) for your aqueous printer at good prices and awesome service.

CheapVehicleWrap

Jill, how many stickers are your printing for your band and friends? If you're going to be printing less than a few million over the next year I hardly see how this is going to be worth your time. If you can design you'd be better off having someone with the proper tools and vinyls do it.

Stickerjill

Jill, how many stickers are your printing for your band and friends? If you're going to be printing less than a few million over the next year I hardly see how this is going to be worth your time. If you can design you'd be better off having someone with the proper tools and vinyls do it.

we have just ordered stickers in the past, but I got my printer for a trade/favor, so I am not out much on actual money. We wont be making a million stickers (maybe we should!) but our problem is we never seem to have the funds upfront for ordering our vinyl/poster needs. So I thought, if I could print them as I needed them....