Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ink cartridge issue on JV-5

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by InProGuy, Mar 8, 2011.

1. InProGuy

InProGuy New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've run into a problem where the printer is giving a ink level reading that does not physically reflect what is in the cartridges.

The printer display shows a reading level of "1" (cyan 1 & 2, right bank) the low cartridge, LED light flashing red, reading correct. Full cartridge, LED light steady green, reading correct.

The printer display should show a level of 5 or 4 with one empty and one full cartridge. I've switched positions with cartridges and LEDs still read correctly but display still indicates level of 1.

I had a similar problem a few months ago with the the same pair of cyan banks only that time the LED indicates empty cartridge (red flashing) when physically full. Figured it was bad ink chip.

Any Ideas?

Tags:
  2. tbaker

tbaker Member

ink chips universally have been crap lately. It isn't uncommon for the chip to be incorrect to what is physically available in the cartridge.

It is more common in after market ink, then in OEM, but it can happen in OEM as well.

You can purchase after market chips at a couple different sign supply companies.

3. InProGuy

InProGuy New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks for the quick reply tbaker. I shall give that a try and not think about it too much.

4. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    your supplier will most likely send you chips if you voice your discontent. fellers must have sent me a dozen free chips over the course of 3 years.

5. Robert M

Robert M Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2007
    colorado
    Inks

Mike, what inks are you using? Are they working well?

6. ozzy666

ozzy666 New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Carlsbad
    usually at fault:
    1.loose contact\spring----try to pull out gently the spring or put small piece of vinyl behind the chip
    2.bended cart
    3.bad 3d party chip----replacement
    4.loose cart slot