Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ink coming off with transfer tape

Discussion in 'Screen Printing' started by cwb143, May 31, 2012.

1. cwb143

cwb143 Member

Oct 18, 2010
    USA
    We recently screen printed on Bright Brushed Aluminum sheets. White first
    then a 4 color. Then we let those cure 24hrs. Then we ran those sheets
    through a laminater to apply transfer tape on top of them for protection during a laser cut process. but we found out that the Transfer tape pulls the ink off most areas. What can be done to keep the transfer tape from pulling off all the ink? Is there a better ink? or a adhesion chemical? or what

Tags:
  2. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    First, what ink did you use? Most likely you either need the proper ink or to add catalyst.

3. cwb143

cwb143 Member

Oct 18, 2010
    USA
    Sericol UVRP and Sericol Catalyst 1269

4. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
  5. cwb143

cwb143 Member

Oct 18, 2010
    USA
    Tim

thanks a bunch I'll forward this to my ink man.

CWB

6. d fleming

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    uvrp is labeled for coated metals. Brushed aluminum is not coated. The catalyst should be the answer, but I do not use UV ink so not an authority on them. I can tell you the solvent based ink and catalyst I use will not come off with tape after cure, fact is it is hard to scrape off with a screwdriver. My bet is either catalyst not mixed right or cure not set right.

7. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    UVRP has an adhesion promoter additive...

8. cwb143

cwb143 Member

Oct 18, 2010
    USA
    Fleming,

Which ones do you use? and how do you mix it?

9. d fleming

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    For metal I use NAzdar 9700 with nb72 catalyst. It's not the only solution they have for metal but it makes good use of the all purpose series so I don't have to carry multiple product lines. Just know that using the catalyst makes the ink a short term shelf life. Once it is "hot" it needs to be used so don't make a ton of it up or you may be wasting $$$. Nazdar has a downloadable pdf substrate chart that is very helpful when it comes to the "will this work" questions. I made a banner of it and hung it in the screen shop long ago. Haven't had any problems matching ink and substrate since. Their techs have also been extremely helpful over the last 30 years or so any time I have any questions about inks and substrates. Great company, great people. I can also tell you I was quite the happy camper when I broke open a cartridge of ink for my Seiko purchased under another name from another distributor and found out it was Nazdar ink. Haven't looked back since. ALL my inks come from Nazdar directly with the exception of finding aqueous inks for old epson 9500 that I make my film positives with. Getting harder and harder to find those from anyone who has their head on straight.

10. cwb143

cwb143 Member

Oct 18, 2010
    USA
    ok thanks for all the input.:U Rock:

11. d fleming

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    anytime