• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink Dripping from Head

supurb

Hi there,

I've been using my Roland CJ-500 converted to eco sol with great success over the last year. I replaced almost everything. I just recently had major amounts of black ink fall onto my print out. Not sure if it actually black or a mix of all 3 colors on that nozzle. I turned the machine off and move the heads over to look and the head actually dripped twice while looking at it. I've since cleaned all around the nozzles, wiper, capping station which I admit I did let get fairly caked up. Since then, the black seems to be coming and going and has dripped again. I did just change the black ink cartridge the night before. Any ideas what is causing the ink to freely drip?

Thanks

supurb

To anyone reading this thread, here was the fix to the issue. After the ink dripped liked crazy I started to lose the black ink. Realizing it must be some sort of vaccum issue i tried to prime the damper with new ink. It did not work and I eventually lost all my black. Which I was actually glad to see because it confirmed to me that i did not have a head problem but a suction problem. As the damper was primed I thought perhaps the problem was back at the cartridge. Upon inspection of the cartridge i saw no ink around hole that gets pierced. I stuck a thumbtack in the whole and primed the damper again and my black was 100% back. I don't know if sometimes the ink cartridge doesn't pierce right but that fixed my problem.

sfr table hockey

For ink to just drip from the heads, you would have to have an air leak on that damper or a crack in the internal area of the head or the nib the damper sets on.

If you were to remove the damper off one of the heads, that head would drip out ink with no vac seal. First thing to try would be to see if the damper seems loose on that head or swap the cyan and black dampers and run a few test prints. If you notice the black head is now dripping cyan then you know its the head. If the drip follows with the black damper over to the cyan head, then you know its that line somehow or damper or the new cart.

You also say you just changed the Black cart and I have found with the CJ's that the carts can seem to be pressured up and can create weird things but more times for me created a draw and would cause drop out. If your area is real hot and that cart was warmer than normal it may create a bit of pressure build up and once attached try to release that pressure.

I was a bit late on the return key...

Last edited: