• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink dropouts creating banding issues

quackster

Thanks in advance for any help. Here is my problem.

After getting between 2' to 6' in on any print or material the printer seems to partially drop out certain colors causing a light
banded area ranging from 1/4" to 1-1/2" wide. It's sporadic when it does this and it always seems to go right back to proper
printing density again. The capping station is fine, pump is fine, dampers as fine, cartridges full, no air in the lines. I am not
a service tech, but no idiot with these either, I am baffled.

Printer is a Roland SC500 running Wincom eco-sol inks. I had the same problem with Rolands eco-sol max. It's not the inks.
It's not a software issue either as it doesn't matter where I output from, Flexi-pro 8.6 sp1, corel x3, Roland colorchoice, it still happens. It also doesn't matter what resolution I output at either.

I will attach a few pix for review.

Thanks for any answers & ideas,
Greg Savage
spectrumsigns@gmail.com

Attachments

• bad print 1.jpg
    bad print 1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 227
  • bad print 2.jpg
    bad print 2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 162
  • bad print 3.jpg
    bad print 3.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 175

David S

If there isn't any air in the lines then I would check the seal from the damper to the manifold on the Printhead. It could be a cracked manifold if it is always the same color. If it is all different colors then ????

woolly

do you allow the printer to pull the roll or do you unroll some slack every now and again while printing.
that type of print problem can be caused by static as you unroll some slack. then it returns to normal printing again until you roll a bit more out.

woolly

D-Signs

Hi Greg, have you had any luck with your SC500 as yet with the banding?
I've been battling with a similar problem on both of my SC500's (one worse than the other)
The banding/ink drop out is more of an issue for the first 6 inches from the right hand side and is worse after it does the auto clean while printing (approx. every 2 feet).

I'm hoping it's something simple as I've tried many things already.

sfr table hockey

Ink starvation in the middle of a print

I know this is from an older post but it may help others as well as D-Signs

I have the CJ 500 Converted.

I had a problem were I was printing a full bleed of color and after a couple feet the color started to fade out (ink starvation). I paused and did a cleaning then restarted and the print was fine for the next couple feet and that was the end of the print. Next print it did it again in a similar spot with the same print. I also noticed when the cleaning cycle was being done that for a quick second once the heads moved off the caps there was a flood of ink in them and then the pump sucked them dry like they should be. I never noticed it do that before.

My Solution:

What I found was the clear tube that connects under each cap and goes to the little rectange box on the right side. This box has nibs on the other side that park against a spring with a flat piece. When the heads are capped this part slides over and creates a vaccume. If those clear tubes are blocked it stops the heads from recharging with ink every time the heads slide that far over while printing. I had a blockage in both tubes and thus the heads would fill on cleanings but not during a large print job.

The fix would be to first disconnect the clear tube from the easy to get at rectangle box and try to use a syringe to suck air through. If you can without resistance then there should be no blockage. If there is resistance then a bit of cleaning fluid should clear it out but I took my clear tubes right out by taking the caps out first. This way you don't push a blockage into the caps for it to come back and possibly block again.

I think these tubes are to be clean and not have anything get in them but once and a while I do notice a bit of ink in them so this might be a monthly cleaning job to keep things running. I just posted a similar post for someone with a newer Roland unit but I know for our printers this was an issue.

Hope this might be a fix for you guys as well. You might not have a total blockage but a partial block could cause similar effects.

bossdg

First I would replace the cap-tops, even if they look good they may not be sealing properly. Next, replace the dampers with a new version with a large screen (our dealer replaced our dampers with dampers from Supply55 and it fixed a similar problem) which will increase the ink flow. Good luck.

sfr table hockey

Next, replace the dampers with a new version with a large screen (our dealer replaced our dampers with dampers from Supply55 and it fixed a similar problem) which will increase the ink flow. Good luck.

Is this a new damper that will work on the older units (sc500 cj500 etc.)?

gorgino

Any luck withe the prob , i have replace pumps and dumpers but nothing ...
must i try the cap station or linear ?

gorgino

After some cm ink drop out and star banding hard. If you press the pause button and wait some times the banding disappear and printing continuous fine. This usually happens in big printing up to 150cm... i have replace the pumps and dampers ... seems printer not drawing enough ink. :help

:help

Jack Knight1979

I deal with this almost on a day to day basis.

I have had a lot of success once I switched to large screen dampers.
I have to change them often, but it takes care of the problem for the most part.

I had this problem with OEM inks too.

sfr table hockey

I have to change them often, but it takes care of the problem for the most part.

With these large screen dampers. How do they look different if at all? To order them do they just list them as large screen dampers?

Thanks as you are now the second to suggest these new dampers.
I will have to look into them soon.

gorgino

Did you mean this dumper ?
PDAEP10DLS.jpg

beacouse iam using this and the prob continius ...

Jack Knight1979

the screen is the right size, but that is a damper for a AJ1000.

You want that screen size, but the damper will be the same size.
They have them on ebay, just look up solvent damper.

Best thing I ever did for my printer. Fellers also has them, but they're 35.00. Ebay has the same ones for about 10.00

gorgino

I have clean the strip several times , .. i notice something today the blue ink tube is seems that have air ... and the same dumper is not fill full of ink , ..???

s1.jpg

s2.jpg