• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink Failure or Printhead Failure?

Fit2Win

I have a JV33 and have been running them extensively the past few weeks. Last night I start a job that was very heavy on Cyan and witnessed almost complete ink dropout. After doing a test draw one of the channels was completely blocked. I did a 30 minute nozzle wash and was only able to get one complete unit out before the print head dropped out again. Checked the capping station and the pump which seem to be fine. I changed the damper and was able to get some ink flow back through a HD ink fill up but the last few I've done have given me zero results. I checked my ink lines but they all look fine and properly sealed.

Could it be the head? I'm doing another 30 minute nozzle wash now.

Thanks for any assistance!

Tekkie1

Tekkie of Many Things
My guess is Capping station needs replacing or you have a cartridge valve not opening correctly, try the capping station first.
Tekkie1:smile:

Fit2Win

Hi there! I actually had to change the head. Strangely enough it has now happened on 2 other printers. Same identical problem.

My gut says there is no way that it is 3 printheads all blowing at once. I think I have an ink problem. Bad patch possibly?

If I do have a bad batch of ink, is there a remedy? I can replace a printhead/dampers just fine but is there a way to rinse the ink out thats already in the system doing a flush with distilled water?

sowinski_t

If it's on 3 different machines, and it's all the same colour, then I would say a bad batch of ink is very likely. Likely it's clogging a damper, or possibly the head itself.
Do not flush with water, you will probably need to follow your instructions provided for doing an ink system drain/flush. I haven't run a JV33 myself, but I imagine it will involve running cleaning solution or some form of ink solvent through the lines.
I would probably call up your local printer tech for this one... Good luck!

Fit2Win

Its for dye sublimation. I use water based inks. All 6 have never had Solvent ink in their respective lines.

Thanks for the help! It is much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Fit2Win

I really don't think its the printhead. I've now seen the exact same failure in a 5th printer. I have 6 and truly, I have never seen this problem before. The dampers are clean. I have changed all cyan dampers and yet it continues to happen. I put a new printhead in a week ago (thankfully it was under warranty) and even after it performed beautifully all week it has now reverted to the exact same problem before the new head was installed.

I know that CYAN can be a tough color to deal with but really can't afford to put new heads in all the machines. Even if some are under warranty I can't lose the print time.

I had a tech come and he was baffled. He bleed the lines and the dampers and they all ran clean. His last call was to install a new printhead. Lines had been flushed 6 weeks ago. Should I do it again? Should I put all new cyan ink lines in?

This really has me for a loop.

Tekkie1

Tekkie of Many Things
If you have seen the problem on several machines then it must be the ink, however proving it is the hardest. As you have several machines doing it I would go back to the ink supplier and say to them whats happening.
This is a very frustrating problem as everybody will pass the buck and say its not my problem. I have been there many times.
You have an advantage as its happeneing on so many machines. As a tech I dont normaly have this comparison without a lot of footwork to prove it.
Try flushing out your heads with isoalcohol as I believe that the filters are blocked.
I had this same problem earlier this year with a roland that kept blocking the black head, it was also dye sub. It took me a while to prove it by swapping heads, dampers ink lines pumps and altering the height of the bulk system, but in the end 3 bad bottles of ink all with different batch numbers but all were faulty.. The 4th bottle worked ok and was a different batch number. I even swapped the ink in the line to a different one which also proved my diagnosis but only after swapping to a new head as well.
I was able to recover the heads that I had awapped out with the iso and now the client has spares.
Persist and you should be ok but I thnk you need to try some more bottles of ink with different batch numbers and some line flushing with iso.But you must go back to your ink supplier and advise him asap..
Tekkie1:omg:

Fit2Win

Tekkie-

Thank you for the advice! I have a tech here now doing those exact things! I've been on the phone with our ink supplier and naturally he's convinced its not his ink but is on board to get it resolved either way. Sometimes threatening to pull business brings about a faster response.

As you said they are doing flushes and putting all new capping stations and pumps before making a final ruling on the ink.

Much appreciated!

romichoux

isopropyl alcohol is not good with water. the miscibility of this alcohol is really bad with water! with dye ink you could block the channel. I'm chemist an technician for this kind of machine. in chemistry we use this alcohol to avoid water. if you try to clean your head with that you could damage the head.

check your slider board with a voltmeter. if you need i can give you some advice to check you head an silder board with a voltmeter. if you need send me a mail.

good luck